1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A man asked me for one of my chickens this morning........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GAhen, Sep 4, 2007.

1. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I was out cleaning and re-stocking my chicken coop this morning...I had my 11 pullets and 1 cockeral out foraging. I had a hispanic man that was working on my neighbor's horse farm come over and ask me for a chicken.....I was shocked, I just said.....No, they are my pets and are for eggs......He patted me on the shoulder and nodded his head....I said.."I sorry, but they are pets". so he went on his way.
    What was weird was....just a few minutes before I was petting my Lucy and thinking.....The only way I could eat her is if I were starving.
    I know this man was not starving....my neighbor has many people work for him and they do well......but I still feel a little bad.
    I wish I had a dozen eggs I could have run in the house to give him.......But my girls are just staring to lay.
    Am I bad for saying no?????

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    No you are not wrong for saying no. Like if somebody came up and asked me for one of my chickens I would definatly say no, 1.because they are my pets 2. If it was somebody I didn't know then I would surely say no, 3.My hens are just starting to lay too.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    LOL! I would've been like: [​IMG]

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    In my case where I have a large amount (50) I would have given him one... BUT, I can understand you all who only have a few and they are your pets. Be sure to keep an eye out though; I dont know if you saw the post over the weekend of the person that tried stealing some.
    Tes

5. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    I think you are 100% in the right. A lot of cultures (don't know about where this guy is from) think of animals differently and would think nothing of taking a chicken (that had been raised as a pet) out and killing it and eating it. Maybe he wanted an egg layer, maybe he wanted dinner. You never know. For me, my pets are my pets. If someone showed up and offered me a million dollars cash for one of my dogs, I'd say no way. To me, my pets are like my children, if I had human children, I wouldn't sell one of them. [​IMG]

6. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Oh, I don't know about going THAT far...There is many a day I would sell one or both of my teenagers for 2-bits..[​IMG] (Just kidding!)

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    They are your chickens and your pets. You have no reason to feel bad.

Culturally, many Latin countries have chickens running wild in the streets.
    In some communities, including some in U.S. History, chickens and other
    livestock are considered currency. This guy probably saw an opportunity
    to get a fresh chicken for dinner.

Now if he came asking for a rooster that would be another story.

I wouldn't give him any of my current flock members but if I had meat birds
    or an extra roo, and I knew he was going to eat it, I'd happily give
    him one. Heck, I'd ask him to show me how he processes it.

8. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    Yes, if I had a really large flock.......I would have probably considered it myself.
    But I only have 11 pullets and have just had two to start laying.
    I understand that it is a cultural difference, but I also understand if people raise meat birds and enjoy their bounty. I just plan on enjoying and sharing eggs and I enjoy the process of caring for the chickens.
    I just wish I had something I could have offered him, like eggs.......
    I put my birds back in the coop when I finished my chores.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my Lucy, this morning just after she laid an egg. She is such a sweet bird!

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yes, hispanics love chickens and like to have them around. And I mean just have them around, as another has mentioned. I grew up in and around latino communities and have traveled extensively south of the border. Everywhere in latin america or latin communities I've ever been, chickens were abundant.

But, unlike many of us, they know that chickens are for two purposes - eating and fighting. There is little of the New Age idealism we are so proud of and they happily use their chickens for both purposes. The concept of chickens as "pets" baffles most of them, of that I'm certain. I suppose they imagine us to be "gringos locos," for it. In some ways, they may not be too far off the mark. [​IMG]

Me, I would have let him have one or two, struck up a converstion and bargained for some homeade tamales. But, you made the decision you needed to make with your animals. Good job.

10. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Yep, that pat on the shoulder said it all....

Poor crazy American woman, thinks chickens are children, doesn't realize they're for food... [​IMG]

JK, I would have said no too! I wouldn't want to eat one of my girlies, and sure wouldn't want anyone else to eat 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by