A Matriarchal Society

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by homechick, Apr 19, 2007.

1. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    I just had a question because I'm curious, I like good discussion and I'm addicted to talking chicken.

Anyway, I have 6 week (or so) old chicks and tonight I was finally able tell which ones are mini-roos. My smallest is one and I think that's hillarous. I am just so excited about having a good idea about their sexes that I started calling all my family and friends who really don't give a crap anyway. Oh well![​IMG]
    I have one standard and it's a pullet. She kind of runs the show it seems. If there's a bug.. she gets it. If there's bread, she gets the first peck. She's not mean about it, but it seems understood maybe because of her size and boldness. I love it. The two that are destined to be roo's don't even seem to question it. Is it possible that a female can run the show? I wonder if this would make it more peaceful? I wonder if this means that everyone will have free healthcare? har har. [​IMG]

I need to get some sleep.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    None of my Roos run the show, until it comes to breeding. Other than that the girls are always first! They run the show, and get first choice of snacks, food, water and dustbathing.[​IMG]

3. sloper74

sloper74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    LOL, I can definitely relate to talking chicken to folks who don't give a crap, as you say.
    Thank God for this board!

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    My flock is matriarchal. My roo is a bantam cochin and is the only roo in a flock of standards and banties. The standard hens dominate, and bully the poor little guy. He still "thinks" he's in charge though! [​IMG]

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    LOL! I, too, can relate to 'talking chickens' to people who don't care.. ONE of my friends told me the other day I needed a 12 step program, and I told her we already have one [​IMG]

I am interested in what other people have to say here. All sorts of animal societies are matriarchal.. I just think it wasn't until recently that people began to realize that. (My best example is my cats. The head cat, the one who keeps everyone in line, is neither the tom nor the oldest. She runs the show purely based on her attitude! Even thought they are 8, 7, 7, and 6 yrs old, I have to feed them in seperate dishes because no one will eat until SHE is eating.. and then only from a safe distance!)

-Meg

6. Pringle_Sussex

Pringle_Sussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Australia
    mmm i'm really glad this place i can talk about chickens and not get "ur obsessed with chickens" comments from my friends... *sigh*

[​IMG] my rooster doesn't run the show at all... he's a big boy but he's such a pansy! he runs from the other chickens and its my dear "pringle" that runs the show.. such a sweety she is...

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Once my boss asked me sarcastically "And what cute things did your little darlings do today?"

I sat down in his office and told him.

He has never asked again.[​IMG]

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    [​IMG]

Priceless!

9. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    Luckily I have students... a captive audience that I can chicken talk to. Hee hee. Hey, learning to listen is a good lesson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by