A Matter of Life or Death, Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hokankai, Jul 4, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I have a 7-8 week old project cochin bantam that has a very severe cross beak. Lately I've been stumped as to what the gender may be. It has a pink comb area (I don't know what comb it has...it's not a single though), no wattles (just little ridges of pale colored skin), and is pretty androgenous in its behavior (challenged the roos at one point, but has settled down a lot and only harasses one other chick...it's also a sweetheart shoulder-riding chick).

Anyway, the sex of this chick ultimately determines its fate. If it's a roo, I'll have to cull it. No one around here wants a high maintenance, handicapped rooster. If it's a pullet, we're willing to work with it because we've all become attached even though we tried not to. It's hard though, this little one is a fighter despite her impediment.

full body shot, comb color
    [​IMG]

wattles, or lack thereof
    [​IMG]

facial shot...color of the comb is a little washed out
    [​IMG]

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    may i first ask why you would be willing to work with it if it is a pullet? im guessing from it being a 'project' bird that you wish to breed from it? id just like to point out that cross beak is a genetic defect and therefore can be hereditory, breeding from this bird would be a very bad idea.
    ive just nursed a chick with a similar degree of crossbeak all the way up to 10 weeks, but as she got bigger, the beak got worse and she ended up starving to death, i wished id ended her misery for her a lot sooner; id tried everything, deep dishes for food and water, plenty of easy to scoop up foods, hand feeding...but it just didnt help

id cull anyhow regardless of gender sorry [​IMG]

3. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Definitely will NOT be breeding this bird. I actually got them from a breeder who's working on a mille fleur cochin project, not me. I'd be willing to work with it because I've already made a feeder it can eat out of that she's figured out. It works, for now at least.

I'm definitely keeping an eye out on her eating. I check her crop throughout the day and every every night at bedtime and so far she hasn't gone to bed hungry. The day she does, she'll be let go. Right now, she's far too sweet and far too determined to cull right now. But you're right, once the quality of life takes a turn for the worse she'll be euthanized before she even has a chance to starve to death.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would say cockerel.

5. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:would it try crowing by now? both of the other roosters in the brood have started faux crowing. But yeah, that was what I went with when it was a few weeks younger.

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:would it try crowing by now? both of the other roosters in the brood have started faux crowing. But yeah, that was what I went with when it was a few weeks younger.

Not always. It depends on the cockerel. Some crow very late and some crow very early. I have a 14 week old cockerel who is with flock which has a rooster who crows alot and he doesn't try it at all.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Have you shown the breeder what her project has created? *shudder*

8. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:Yes, I told her right when it started to develop. She said she has never had this problem before and she felt absolutely terrible. You're always going to get genetic flukes whenever you play around with DNA and breeding...this little one was just one of the unlucky ones.

Any other thoughts?

9. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I would say a rooster, sorry. [​IMG] You could still keep it as a family pet though. [​IMG] Afterall, a hen with crossbeak may not lay eggs due to the condition anyway, so you may as well try. Good luck! Keep us updated! [​IMG]

10. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    That's what I though, the lack of wattles was throwing me off.

I think I will keep him around, just because he's figured out how to survive for now. Again, if he goes to bed one night with an empty crop, that's when I'll know it's time [​IMG]

Thanks you guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by