A MILD DRAMA

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by FARKESU, Apr 4, 2017.

1. FARKESU

FARKESU Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    In preparation of the arrival of my newly hatched poulets I bought some hen chickens (day old) cause I want to separate my poulets from the turkey hen. My tom Boogy heard the chicks noises from the carton and immediately came to welcome them. Alas! Its clear that Boogy behaved as if it wanted to harm them though I feared keeping them outside the carton. I took them inside my parlor to avoid uncertainty but since then Boogy, became wild and fights everybody in the compound even me who feeds him. If he saw me or any other person, it will start some strange noises while trying to jump at person. It pecks almost anyone that comes its way. I shared this experience to find out wither it wanted to eat the little chickens or is there anything wrong with it? I heard but not experienced turkey fights seriously or this is a peculiar one? Will it stop this nonsense or not? I need your advice.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Tom turkeys can get protective when something is odd or different. Sounds like yours got stimulated by the sounds of peeping, and he went into protective mode. He should calm down eventually.

I would keep your Tom penned up and away from the chicks, Turkey's often will harass chickens.

When introducing new poults to adults it always best for them to be separated by a fence for a few weeks, and I usually wait until the poults are around 3-4 months before I let poults mingle with adults. The adults are not always nice to poults, and it can take a while before they can be safely left together.

3. FARKESU

FARKESU Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    That's good, am grateful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by