1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Million Novice Duck Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wendyerin17, Dec 1, 2012.

1. wendyerin17

wendyerin17 New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    First off I want to apologize if I ask something that is in archives. I have done lots of searching and here are a few specific questions I can't find the answer to:

Back story....an acquaintance of a neighbor lost their house and needed to re-home lots of creatures. I took the ducks, but they came about 3 weeks before planned, so everything is now last minute and a bit crazy.

1. Can anyone tell me if these are a particular breed or mix of breeds? The white/tan is mama and she is about 5 years old. The two darker ones are males and are siblings and about a year old. [​IMG]

2. I was under the impression that you shouldn't have two drakes together....these are siblings. Any thoughts as I would eventually like to add a couple of other ducks, I am thinking Khaki Campbells if I can find them. If I am going to have ducks, I might as well try to get some eggs out of it.

That's all for now. I am just worried about them. They will be housed in an extra large, raised rabbit hutch for now until I get their duck house finished. They just dropped these guys off tonight with half a bag of chicken laying feed. They will be in a well-fenced area in a fairly suburban area. We do have birds of prey, but I am not terribly worried, as we have lots of smaller birds in the area to choose from. We have coyotes, but the ducks will get locked up at night, and although I haven't seen any, I know there are raccoons in the area, so our duck house and eventually small attached pen will be as predator proof as I can make it.

Thanks for any help!!!! I feel like a new mama! :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

1. They appear that they could be mixed with runner or blue swedish.

2. Keeping drakes together is fine when you have enough females around. In your case you will need to rehome one drake or add more females because they will start overbreeding their mother.

3. wendyerin17

wendyerin17 New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks for the response. So how long do I have before I have to get a few more females? I need to finish up their house, etc. They have literally been here an hour.

And I don't really want babies.....however the people who left them with me said she isn't laying eggs anymore. I honestly don't know the truth, just what they are telling me. I guess this is like chickens, if I pull the eggs immediately then we won't have babies.

I was thinking of housing them with goats....I've read the pros and cons on that and haven't made a decision.

Lots to think about.

Thank you!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't wait very long especially in smaller areas. Spring and Summer seem to be the more active breeding season so you might be able to get away with it for a few weeks.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For now you are probably okay, but if at all possible you may want to separate them by plastic poultry fence so they can see each other but the drakes cannot get to her. . . they may not be interested in her right now, but if she has stopped laying it could be because they have been mating with her too much.

the tan duck in the foreground looks like a Buff Orpington to me, the others look like possible mixes of cayuga, rouen, khaki, possibly swedish (not necessarily all of the above, but some of those).

6. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Welcome to BYC and to the Duck Forum!!! Congrat on your new ducks & it is awesome that you took in your neighbor's ducks! I am sure that you are going to enjoy having them!

When you get ready to build your pen, be aware that ducks can make a big mess of a small enclosed pen very quickly! Also remember that in the summer, they are going to need some shade to stay cool (in addition to lots of water, of course).

We keep our 6 ducks in our yard in Chicago. Our yard is about 2,500 sf and fenced with 5' tall chain-link fence (that is secure enough to keep our dog, ducks & kids in the yard). In our neighborhood there are red foxes, raccoons, opossums, stray cats, neighborhood dogs that occasionally get out of their yards and maybe coyotes too. Our coop is predator resistant, but during the day (8:30 AM to dusk) we generally let our ducks wander the yard freely. We and our neighbors have dogs, so the raccoons, opossums & stray cats usually only visit our yard at night (except for one suicidal, half-tame alley cat who gets plenty of cat food from a neighbor). We've had our ducks for 2 years without a predator incident.

When I need a pen for them, I use a roll of simple 4' garden fence and 4' studded T-style garden fence posts for the corners, to enclose around 40-50 sf. If the ducks need to be in a pen for more than a couple of days, then I usually have to move the pen every second or third day to keep the mess destroying a piece of the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by