A Mites informational Thread

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveThemBirds, Feb 23, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Songster

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I was scrolling through some thread seeing how people were making use,so I decided to try to join and make my self useful.

Mites are a type of blood sucking bug.Chickens will ifren get mites and it is sometimes difficult to tell.

Symptoms:
    Not going up at night
    Pale combs
    Scratching more then usual
    Preening more at the vent area
    Missing feathers

Where might I check for mites?A place mites will be at are,at the vent.It is most common place.Under the wing,and near the neck feathers.

How might I cure it?
    One way you can kill it is by using Natural gaurd or any thing that will kill bugs (mites).Make sure you disinfect the hens before adding them to the coop.Clean the coop out with hot soapy water,or any other chemicals similar.Before the birds go to bed,be sure to put Vaseline,or any thing that could harm mites that is powder maybe.The mites will get killed and can't walk up the hens.

If you let this get out of hand,the mites can kill your chickens.Be sure you burn your old hay or whatever use immediately after taking it out.

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Songster

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog

P.s. Put the Vaseline on the scaley legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by