1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Mixed Flock. Calling all Gender ID pros

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MedSchlFarmers, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Any thoughts on the genders of my chicks? Ages and breeds listed above each picture.

Silkie "Ole 5 Toes" 7.5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock "Sparkles" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Silkie "Ole 5 Toes" 7.5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Lavender Orpington "Mrs. Potts" 7.5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Mrs. Potts
    [​IMG]

Brown Leghorn "Chocolate" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

"Chocolate" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Black Sex Link "Campy" 5 weeks. She is from a hatchery. This may be a silly question but are sex links always females? I ask because I noticed today she has red waddle buds already. No red in comb,

[​IMG]

Barred Rocks, "Love" on left and "Sparkles" on right 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Barred Rocks "Love" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]

Chocolate and Ole 5 Toes
    [​IMG]

Love and Campy (I add this one because I think it is adorable)
    [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I can answer your Question on Sexlinks. Sexlinks are such that there is a distinct difference between pullets and cockerels easily identifiable. . This way all pullets are sold as such and all cockerels sold as such. Most people want just pullets for various reasons, mainly egg production. Many cockerels are raised and processed for meat before they become vicious toward each other. I don't really want to discuss what happens to soooooo many baby chicks that are not pullets.. [​IMG]

WISHING YOU BEST AND [​IMG] I know you are here 2 months. Still wish to extend the welcome.... [​IMG]

3. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    I'm no pro. Sparkles and Love both seem to be female. Campy would have barring if she were a he. Black sex links come from crossing red roosters with barred hens, the male offspring have a white head spot when they hatch and feather in barred, but the females are solid black at hatch feather in the way yours did. I don't know a thing about silkies. None of them are really screaming boy right now.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Campy,the BSL is a pullet.
    Mrs. Potts, LO, looks to be a pullet.

Chocolate, BL, also looks to be a pullet thus far.

Love and Sparkle...I could go either way...BR's pullets can mature quickly and I would want more time to tell if these are roos or pullets. That's quite a bit of comb developing, but still yellow. they look darker in their pattern, but the shadows and sunlight make it hard to tell for certain. Give those two several more weeks of growth. You'll likely see those combs redden up substantially soon if they are roos. Otherwise, they'll stay yellow until POL.

Old 5 Toes...I'm leaning pullet. Pompom is more like a mowhawk which is more male like, but it is still very young... body is more teardrop which looks very pullet. I'm thinking pullet thus far. Is the comb very small? If so probably pullet, but Silkies can be hard to sex. You have to wait those out.

LofMc

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We could see much better if your pictures would enlarge - I think only the first one did. Would love to see a shot of the silkie - face forward to check the comb. Looks like a nice one.

6. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone! This is so fun. I took some more photos this morning of Ole 5 Toes the Silkie and the Barred Rocks. If both of the barred rocks are cockerels I have really bad pullet luck as they were hatchery sexed. Oh well!

Here they are....

"Sparkles" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Sparkles
    [​IMG]
    Sparkles and Lady Liberty
    [​IMG]

"Love" 5 weeks
    [​IMG]
    Love
    [​IMG]
    Love
    [​IMG]
    Love in front, Sparkles in back
    [​IMG]

Ole 5 Toes, 7.5 weeks, Silkie
    [​IMG]
    Ole 5 Toes
    [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your Barred Rocks have some pretty thick black bars, so they are probably pullets. Silkies are hard. At this point, I'm guessing pullets. But if the combs grow a lot (for a Silkie comb) in the next few weeks, they are boys.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m not even going to venture a guess at the silkies, but everyone else looks female. Looks like a nice flock!

I love Lady Liberty's name [​IMG]

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Better photos. Thanks.

Love is a pullet. Sparkles...watch...may be a pullet or could be a roo. That is quite a bit of yellow comb for 5 weeks and the bars are pretty wide across those wings.

With these photos, your Old 5 Toes silkie looks to be pullet, but Silkies can be difficult. Continue to monitor as it matures.

LofMc

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Love these guessing threads, hope we find out how it turns out. My guesses are everyone PULLETS with question on Chocolate & Sparkles. Lucky you! Love the Lavender Orpingtons, had a beautiful chick that turned out to be a Cockerel :( which I couldn't keep. I would have had he not crowed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by