A mixed flock...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jayrose17, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Jayrose17

Jayrose17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Washington state
    What is your opinion on a mixed flock, and which breeds DON'T do well with eachother? I ask this because currently I have a polish rooster, two bared rock hens, an arecauna hen, a bielefelder hen and cock and my boyfriend is wanting to add some silkies and other misc. hens. I'm worried about segregation and bullying more than anything else. Is it possible to have a flock of many breeds?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I have never had any problems with having a mixed flock. I have large birds (8+ lbs.), average birds (6.5 lb.) and small birds (some are around 4 lbs. and one is less than 24 ounces). I just make sure there is plenty of food and water around and that there are a few hiding spots for those birds at the bottom of the pecking order. I know someone who had no problems with having silkies in with his regular hens and roosters.

Since you have two roosters I would make sure to have at least 15 hens. This will make sure that one rooster isn't getting picked on too bad and that he hens don't get to beat up. I hope this helps!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have a very mixed flock and they get along well. But I don't have the froo-froo chickens (silkies, frizzles, sizzles or any other such thing). I have hardy dual-purpose breeds, so I probably can't help you any. I have had bantams in with my LF chickens and they did just fine.

4. Jayrose17

Jan 14, 2014
    Washington state
    Thank you guys, they are free range on 5 acres, and have full access to food and water at all times, the reason he is wanting silkis is because they are rumored to be broody and we are looking into raising chicks in the future. What are some of your recomondations on hiding spots?

5. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

I, too, have a mixed flock. (See my signature.) Two of the girls are quite small, the one being a bantie. The biggest rooster is HUGE - like, the drumsticks from his cousins measured 7"! - and I have no issues. The two young pullets I recently got were acquired when it was too cold to put them in the addition/separate pen so I just tossed them in with the flock right off the bat and they were fine. During the storm, my 6' x 8' coop was on full lock-down for a few days and even with 3 roos in that space locked together for the duration there were no problems.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Shrubs, a piece of plywood or pallets leaning up against something or on cinder blocks, under buildings or vehicles. Ours like to hang out under the gas barrels we have. Basically anything they can get under or behind if they feel threatened.

7. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

I will say, though, that the one roo came along later and when there were already 5 or 6 other roos... He was last on the list to eat (other roos wouldn't let him eat until everyone else was done) so for the first while I would feed him privately in the house. Not being accepted by the others, he became an excellent flier :D Now, he's buddies with his fellow under-roo.

Also, when I had the white phoenix roo, I did notice that the others left him alone and really didn't care about his presence. They also seemed to laugh at him when he tried mounting the LF hens rather than chase him off like they do with their fellow LF roos. It would seem that any newcomer not perceived as a threat to the order will be left alone to go about their business. I know my elderly hens are bullies, but they never bothered the banties nearly as much as they picked on the other girls.

8. Jayrose17

Jan 14, 2014
    Washington state
    :) awesome thank you guys so much for the input it is truly apritiated

9. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I've heard that silkies are great hatchers and mothers!!! I hope it goes well!

10. Jayrose17

Jan 14, 2014
    Washington state
    Yay, I will definantly look into it more.. I'm excited to raise chickies for the first time :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by