A moment of silence...Dead RIR.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by links_56, Mar 1, 2009.

1. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    I went out to the coop this morning just like any other morning and one of my RIR hens was dead in the nesting box. It appears that she died trying to lay an egg that was too big. Recently one hen has been laying these crazy huge eggs ones so big they would not fit in an egg carton. Im sure shes the one who died. Has anyone had this happen before? Is there any thing I could have done to save it, had I caught it in process? Just want to be prepared in case it happens again. I hate it when they die...Thanks, Justin.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry for your loss, Justin...

3. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Sorry about your hen...I love my reds... they are the best of the best...

4. gordy123

gordy123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    falls village, ct
    justin, sooo sorry for your loss. we to lost one of our RIR's this winter. Her name was stella...thought she was egg bound did everything to try and correct it, thought she would be good to go and my hubby went out one morning and she had died on the roost during the night, our roo was trying to get her to move. she was my fav and i miss her terribly.[​IMG]

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Justin: There probably is nothing that you could have done for her. Some hens begin to lay these huge eggs for some reason, and it often leads to their demise. I think it has something to do with a hormonal imbalance. Sorry you lost her, but don't blame yourself. Death is the final stage of everything's life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by