A month old chickie with very retarded in growth... Update :((((

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dudu, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    I have a question....

This (the light one) is Berta, a chickie of great concern to me now.

A few days old with her supposedly littermate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22 July:
    [​IMG]

This is taken 28 July:
    [​IMG]

And this is how it's been looking for the last week or so. These were taken today.
    [​IMG]

She and the blackie (Greta) are both a month old now.
    [​IMG]

In addition, she's always liked to sleep (from day 1) especially in my hands where it's warm, and she's looking for shelter under the black one's wing which the blackie does not accept.

She's also chirping as if complaining all the time - she's been doing that from the start but then we figured she's feeling cold, so we started putting them outside in their box (in our back garden in the shade) as the temperature there is much higher than in the house. For a while she seemed happy. (But she's always emotional and insists on her bird welfare rights as we used to laugh, LOL.)

She's eating now very selectively (I don't know before, I believe she was eating better, but now she doesn't show interest in the starter, only eats oat flakes (uncooked) and cooked rice (I make the parboiled) and also crazy about fresh cucumbers. The cucumbers are the first thing she checks out these days when she wakes up in the morning (when I uncover their crate).

She is not interested in boiled egg either. Yesterday I only managed to get her to fill her crop with the rice, nothing else seemed to do it for her. She is also interested in the food remains that fall from our greenfinche's crate but those grains come out the otehr end undigested.

She is pooping sometimes sort of ok and sometimes diarrhea. One can come 5 min after the other.

She mostly just wants to sleep now ALL the time, head under her little wing, or better yet in my arms where she can sleep undisturbed and warm.

She's not completely apathetic, she wakes up and runs to me when I call them for food, jumps out of her crate (even with some difficulty due to weakness, it seems, meaning she can't just fly to the door, she jumps and uses her beak to pull herself up). But then she gets tired and stands there and 'cries'.

Reading the posts here I assumed it MIGHT be cocci in some form so I am giving them in water since yesterday Sulfadimidine. I gave her some in her mouth (diluted with water as per instructions) via a syringe but she really resists so I only managed to do it twice yesterday and then dipped her beak in the bowl and made her take some this way.

I understand fully the concept of survival of the fittest but I would like to know if possibly I made a mistake with something and why something like this might occur, and most importantly what could be done to help her in any way if God is willing for her to continue.

If you have seen something like this or have any ideas or comments, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Irena

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    It looks very fine to me, I have no experience with that, but I think it is just the difference in breed, I always thought barred rocks grew fast.

3. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hopefully she'll catch up. It's possible she'll have a growth spurt and end up as your biggest hen. Clearly she's not eating as much as the other one, which would indicate a slower growth. I only fed starter food to my chicks for the first 5 or 6 weeks. Maybe you could try a different brand? I imagine it has the appropriate nutrients and vitamins and such, so if the other one eats it and she doesn't, I am not surprised by her size. She might prefer the starter moistened like a mash.
    You can also add a little cider vinegar to the water to help with digestive health and keep the water free of bacteria. Do you have a brooder lamp to keep her warm? If she seems cold, I would definitely keep the brooder lamp on her in the house until she fills out a little more.
    It looks like her wing feathers are filling in well, so I'd certainly take that as a good sign.

4. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Ħal Luqa, Malta
    Whew, thank you quintinp and krissteff for your replies. I will definitely check out if there is a different brand of starter and will ask my partner to fit a lamp for them for cooler days. Right now they're in the back yard in their crate, the sun is warming it through a net and they have part of the crate in the shade. They seem to be spending time intermittently in both parts of it, the sunny and the shady one. She's not crying right now, just sleeping laying down (not standing up with her head under the wing). She seems to be content but yet not happy.

Indeed, since we dont know their exact parentage, (a hen must have gotten out the yard and then brought her babies down, and we have no idea which one), they could even be mixes of different breeds, I guess? I am really NEW to chickens, but if I think of it, indeed a chihuahua puppy and one of a great dane would have a very different growth rate for sure. (I could use a blushing emoticon right now!)

Thank you again, I sure hope I'm worried for nothing and I will try out these suggestions to help her grow into a normal bird. She is thin right now for sure. (if felt by the breast bone)

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  6. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:I know Nan's story and have been reading it since the beginning! Definately a good read!

7. JayneMae

JayneMae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    Please keep us posted on her progress.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Visit a local 4th grade class and notice the difference in kid's growth. I have faith the little one will be just fine. They are super cute!

9. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I had one like that who ate paper towels and almost died from straining to pass them, and did not grow for almost a month. I fed her olive oil and yogurt and she finally started feeling more alert, but it took awhile. Now she has almost caught up with the others at 13 weeks, and is entirely fine, and if anything more active than they are.

10. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    My chicks liked their food much better when I switched to Mills Organic Unmedicated Chick Starter. I have no idea why but they are crazy about it. I don't know if you can get that where you are because it is a company local to me int he bay area but maybe you can find something like that close to you? Also, I agree to try making it into a mash. They might like that a lot. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by