A Mother's Day gift

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newfoundland, Mar 18, 2012.

1. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Mother's Day here today and my DD has given me two Black Rock hens. What handsome stately birds they are! They sadly will come down to earth with a bump as they will be sharing with my lovable but disreputable ex battery hens. Does anyone have any information about Black Rocks, my chicken experience has so been nursing poor old ex batts back to health.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Man, you really scared me- I thought I forgot my mother!

3. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You mean St Patrick's? Anyways...I'd say introduce them for 4 weeks or so through a section in your pen or a separate crate. After that there should be less of the pecking order occurring. They are nice chickens :)

4. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    No yesterday was Mother's Day in UK. I know you have it later in the year. Thanks for the advice I have done this. They are eyeing each other up through the wire mesh. The two new girls are lovely and are already laying. They are bigger than my ex batts with beautiful feathers. My ex batts are somewhat moth eaten but well loved and great characters. I look forward to them all being together in time.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    We gotta see pictures of the lovely ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by