A mouse in the house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Doodadman, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Doodadman

Doodadman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    I fought the mice and the mice are winning. But I am going to put out some glue traps at night. Do I feed the mice to the ladies?

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    not with glue on them. you would have to chop off their little mousy feet. [​IMG]

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    those live mouse traps work great - you can catch several at once, and then you can give them to the girls. or you can release, but I really don't think the survival rate of released critters is all that great.

over time, the live trap is so much cheaper as you can re=use and re=use. also, the glue traps are kind of creepy when the mice chew off their feet, or break their limbs in a futile effort to escape.

just don't forget to check the livetrap trap every day or so, or you'll also find gruesome sights.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I pride myself on being a strong independent woman who is not afraid of much, but show me a mouse in my house and I become a blob of quivering jelly. They don't bother me anywhere else, but when they get in my house I lose it.

5. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    If you use a live trap I wouldn't release them, they will simply find their way back in. I'd give them swimming lessons, or put it in front of your car exhaust.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yeah i hate mice [​IMG]

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    actually i shouldnt use the word hate .... dislike!! [​IMG]

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I use the plain old snap traps, the OLD style not the stupid new plastic ones I can't keep set. I have used new ones as a "keep off the counter and table" trainer; set trigger and very carefully set on surface upside down - snaps jumps and clatters but cat or dog don't get pinched.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I always feel so bad when a mouse gets in my house..i see my one mouser cat (i have 6, but only 1 is earning his keep!) i feel bad when i see him chasing the little guys! (they're so tiny and scared and shivering AND they squeal when he catches them..[​IMG]..) So then we get in a squabble over who gets the mouse.. I let him catch them..(because i cant.. [​IMG]..) then i grab him and try to take his mouse away from him... I literally have to pry his mouth open to get that mouse!.. (so, i'm holding a ticked off cat and a scared biting mouse....just picture it..).so i can release it outside..[​IMG]..he gets SO mad at me when i take it away! He even growls and swats at me.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Somewhere else in here I read a tip from an exterminator guy. He said tie a short bit of string to the bait bar and dip it in anchovy paste. That way they always trigger it. I think he said keep the string end about an inch or shorter, and you will hit every time. I have not tried it. I should I got a couple mice in the kitchen. I tried glue traps and got two, then the others smartened up. I have snap traps, just haven't gotten the anchovy paste yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by