A multitude of problems!!

glscottjr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Texas
I have a couple problems I wanted to see if someone can explain or clear up for me. First I guess I should say I built a incubator and hatcher out of an old styrofoam cooler and compact refrigerator. I have 3 thermometers in the bator and all 3 read differently. Two are digital one is the stick type. I got readings from 97.5 to 100.8. The humidity ranged from 35% to 45%.
I hatched the first batch from some chicken eggs I got from a friend and 5 of 6 hatched. Also had 20 button quil eggs shipped in and 10 hatched. Now on the second attempt I bought 12 chicken eggs and put them in the bator. I set them March 17th and everything has been uneventful until tuesday. I was planning on moving the eggs to the hatcher but when I got home I noticed 3 of the eggs had pipped. First problem!!! Why did they pip so early? I moved them to the hatcher and within an hour I had a chick flopping around. Now second problem. One of the pipped eggs hadn't hatched by this morning so I decided to help. Well the poor guy is stuck in the shell. ( shrink wrapped) I got most of the shell off but I didn't want to hurt the little guy so... Will the shell and membrane come off or do I need to help more? As of now he is alive and looks to be getting his feet under himself. I had another one that popped right out and is doing fine. All total I have 7 of 10 that hatched. The other 2 weren't fertile or whatever. They were clear after 10 days when I candled. Anyway 5 of seven hatched 2 days early and the one was stuck to its shell. Don't know if the other 3 will hatch or not.

Any thought or suggestions on what went astray?

Thanks,
Greg

Since your temp readings are varied, your temp may actually be on the high end. Higher temps will give you early hatches.....were the eggs bantam? Bantams sometimes hatch early also. Have you calibrated your thermometers?

Your shrink wrap may have come from transfering the eggs from bator to hatcher while they had already pipped. Moisten the shell/membrane to make it easier for it to finish hatching (you can wrap the egg in a damp paper towel leaving beak exposed).

Over all, 7 out of 10 is a decent hatch...congrats!!
big_smile.png

How would I calibrate thermometers?
The eggs are Silver Phoenix eggs.
The shrink wrapped guy is out and so far ok. Still has some membrane and shell stuck on his back but doing ok.

Thanks

I don't know how to calibrate a thermometer but I'd guess that having different ones in the same spot will tell you if they are at least all reading the same.

The hygrometer needs calibrating for sure. It's easy to do:

Put some non-iodized salt in a little bowl. Put just enough water in there and mix it up so it looks like wet sand. Put the bowl and the hygrometer in a zip lock bag. The hygrometer doesnt' need to be in the bowl with the salt, just in the bag.

Wait at least 8 hours. Longer is fine, like over night. The hygrometer should read 75%. If it doesn't, then you know how far it's off. Like mine said 60%. So now, I read it and add 15. If mine says 45%, then I know it's really 60% humidity.

See my sig, the second link, for putting a hot water heater thermostat in so that you don't have more than one degree temp variation. The second video on the page is the one you really want to watch.

Cool thanks. I actually saw your post on the thermostat when I was building my incubator and that is how I have mine set up. It works great but the thermometers all read different. I don't know which one is right so I just try to keep them between 98 and 100.
I will calibrate my hygrometer though. I have 2 and they read different also.

All 7 chicks are still hanging in so maybe they will all make it.

Back
Top Bottom