1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Neat But Freaky Fact About The Forest

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by deb1, Jan 5, 2010.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My husband is taking a basic biology course. The teacher is a botanist. She told the class something that just seems amazing to me.

Apparently the trees in the forest are all interconnected underground and that they pass nutrients between one another.

http://www.pcdf.org/meadows/trees.html

But what she said that was really freaky was that the entire forest might have some level of awareness that someone new has entered it.

I got this information from my hubby who isn't always the best reporter of facts. So, if any of you know any more information about this, I would love to hear it. I can't find any articles on the subject.

His teacher is NOT a new age type of person. She seems very matter of fact.

I just thought that for any of you who enjoy nature or a walk in the forest, that might be something pretty cool to mull over.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I know we use dozers to dig roots up on fire lines to keep fires from burningthrew the roots under ground past the fire line.

4. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Wow thats wierd... Though i'm sure htye'd know i meant them NO harm... Save our tree's!

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Many plants (trees included) have mycorrhizall connections that are helpful in the exchange of nutrients. These are types of fungi, algae, and/or bacteria that help with nitrogen fixation and nutrient uptake. That is why so much diversity can be found in the rainforest, but the soil is very poor. The plants use the mycorrihizae!

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:So then I just need to plant my garden under a tree [​IMG] My soil is horrible!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:So then I just need to plant my garden under a tree [​IMG] My soil is horrible!

Hey, it may help! Many people think that "dirt" (ahem, "soil" for us Biologists) is not alive, but it is very much alive. It is FULL of living organisms that are very beneficial to a variety of plant life.

8. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Allelopathic plants like Black walnuts are real killjoys then, aren't they? [​IMG]

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sounds like Avatar [​IMG]

Seriously- if the settlers would have paid more attention to the Native Americans.....They knew this stuff hundreds of years ago.

10. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:My husband mentioned that she said something about fungi.

It sounds like something invented in a fantasy novel, doesn't it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by