1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A neighbor's gift to me...but what is it??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by blusea23, May 5, 2011.

1. blusea23

blusea23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Aromas, CA
    Hi Folks,

I adopted this chicken a couple days ago, and was fairly certain it was a hen until I heard a crow this morning. Not a very good one, mind you, but a crow nonetheless. Maybe it's obvious that this is a rooster, but I'd like to have a few more opinions to know for sure. And any idea on breed? Neighbor said RIR, but I have doubts. Thanks!!

Bonny Seagraves

P.S. Forum won't let me submit a photo, so you can view it by friending me on facebook [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    You can also post the picture in a photo sharing website like photobucket to share.

[​IMG]

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    It looks like hen to me

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    You can always post pics to your personal BYC page.

5. blusea23

blusea23 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Aromas, CA
    Quote:Thank you, I did, but the site considers me too new a user to put the pic in a post. Guess I'll have to put up a few more posts!

We concluded the bird was a rooster, and after returning it the original owner (we can't keep roos in town), I found an egg in the nest box! Feel pretty silly, since I thought it would be easy to tell the difference on an adult bird, but I'm new at this and learning lots!

Thanks for your input everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by