a new approach to getting a small family farm

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by SophieLain127, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    So I wrote on the rant board about not being able to get funding through a specific lender to purchase 40 acres and a house. So I tried through a different lender and I've also started searching for a cheaper bit of land. I've found a 19 acre property that is only $69,900 so I'm going to look into that one. Maybe after awhile we can move to something bigger.

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Hubby and I were browsing through this weeks "Thoroughbred Times". There is a nice 80 acres in central KY for like $600,000. It's got an 1850s house and 20 stalls in two barns. OMG, I wish!!!

Oh and there's another 121 acres in PA for a little more but bigger house and more barns. I seriously need a rich relative or a winning lottery ticket!!!

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am in the same boat as far as trying to get a country property.
    Though my problem is selling THIS house so I have enough money to either buy something outright or make a good downpayment.
    I thought I was going to be out of town life years ago, but this coming September it will be 11 years. I am not giving up and you shouldnt either![​IMG]

4. badnfluinz

badnfluinz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    I am closing on a 1880 farm house on 7 acres in Illinois. Paid $51,000 for it. Needs some cosmetic work but nothing too expensive, mostly paint. It was a foreclosure and got it at auction.

5. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    Oh Ya , Closing tomarrow!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    At 10:30 AM!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

[​IMG]

It's about 500k for a .5 acre bare lot around home!

CONGRATS!

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Wow you cant even get a small piece of land in town for under $100,000 here.. Or even out of city limits.. Not for any size piece of land.. There is a small triangular shaped lot behind where I live.. And it isnt that big. It is going for $170,000 and its empty..

I wish I could find cheap land...

8. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    I have been watching this place since the owners moved out, was on the market for a while but nothing happened so they auctioned it. They were asking $79K for it. Closing has taken forever, sale was March 26th, paying cash, you'd think it would of been a fast closing, but nnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo had to drag it out. I have 4 boys and a husband, 5 dogs 2 cats in a 2 bedroom singlewide right now and everything in storage. Cant wait to get moved in to a 2900 sq ft house. Ready to kill the kids here![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by