A New Chick Mom With a Question!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CitySilkies88, Mar 23, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Hello, my name is Samantha. I have three adult Silkie hens that I bought last summer as adults. They were my first chickens ever and I am pretty proud that I have been successful having city chickens. They do occasionally become broody and I figured that if my girls survived the winter I would get some chicks so that they could have some company.

I had mentioned this to my neighbor who absolutely loves my Silkies......Well two days ago my neighbor showed up at my door with a box of six "Red Pullets" from Tractor Supply (so who knows what they will be) peeps/chicks. I was totally shocked but happy, my neighbor even picked me up a big bag of starter feed!

I did pretty good putting together a brooder with a heat lamp and plenty of space. They are lively playful little fluff balls. I have only had a small problem with two of the six "pasting up". But I have kept on top of it and wipe off their little bums and blow dry them dry every time I see a little poo covering their vents. Other than that the same two chicks are very lively and seem healthy.

I do have a small concern. I threw together my brooder quickly and am pretty broke financially until Tuesday. I had no idea about cedar shavings and have had my chicks on them for two days now. They have not been sneezing or showing any signs of irritation. But I have read some concerning things about not using cedar shavings. It just happened to be what I had in my garage which is why I used it. But I was wondering will the chicks be okay in a well ventilated room until Tuesday on the cedar shavings? Or should I dump the cedar and put them on.......tore up paper towels until Tuesday? I really don't want the cedar to make them sick!

2. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Well right after I posted this, I figured it wasent worth risking my chicks health. So I stood out in the kitchen and shredded paper towels until I had enough to give the chicks a nice thick layer. I dumped out the cedar chips and will not make that mistake again! So I will just keep up on their paper towel bedding until tuesday. Then should I pick up pine shavings? What is the best bedding for them?

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    yes, pine shavings are the best for them - especially compared to cedar. I would have done the same thing and removed them immediately. Lots of people keep their babies on towels and just wash and rotate. This might cost less if you have any extras until you can get some shavings.

Are you raising the "red pulletts" for her or yourself?

4. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    For the brooder I prefer the pine bedding pellets over the pine shavings. Most of the feed stores where I get chicks use them. And you will notice in many of the photos that some other people are using them too.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Pine shavings are probably the best, and definitely the most popular, but I raised my chicks on old newspaper, paper towel, and at one time even grass clippings. This has worked fine, although it is true we've only ever kept the chicks in the brooder for a month max, then it's out into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by