A new companion for my lonely 2 year old RIR?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by irishcowgirl, Feb 21, 2011.

1. irishcowgirl

irishcowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    So one of my girls just went missing. I'm guessing a hawk got her. Now the other one (Gertie) is alone in her coop. [​IMG] I've decided that free-range is no longer a good idea if predators know where to come to get a free meal. I'm thinking about getting one or two new chooks but idk what kind to get. I've always wanted some Buff Orpingtons, but how would they get along with Gertie? I think I've heard that BOs are friendly. What are some other friendly breeds that do well with other chickens and people?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have a RIR hen with my BO hens and they get along pretty well. The RIR hen is dominate over the BOs but they don't fight. Australorps are friendly to other chickens too.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Barred Rocks are good bets.

4. TLeo13

TLeo13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    oxford, Pa
    I have two buffs and they are lovely birds and very friendly i think they would get along pretty well with any breed

5. nitcomb

nitcomb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, New York
    We integrated an EE with a BO, BPR and GLW. It's taken some time. She was always picked on. As she's grown, she's finally found her place. While now still at the bottom of the order, she's doing ok.

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:This guy would adore her
    [​IMG]

He's a very broody boy, cuddles the hens down into the nest box when they're wandering around humming their egg song. Feeds them. Preens them. Its so adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by