1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A new egg production record for my girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 16, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know it's not much compared to folks with a hundred chickens or more, but...

I have 12 almost 3 y.o. hens in my adult coop (+1 roo). I got 9 eggs from the girls in that coop today.

In the baby coop I have 17 birds - 1 is a roo (he hasn't laid an egg to my knowledge [​IMG] ), 2 are broody, 4 are meaties.

So out of 17 birds I have 14 pullets laying right now. I got 14 eggs from them today. Even Ellie Mae contributed her tiny little silkie egg.

23 eggs total!! I'm proud of my girls! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    WOW that is some good egg numbers, congrats!!

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Soooo jealous. 4 eggs today out of 11 girls. Sigh. Spring is coming.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Yay, Kat!
    Gotta love those gals-they are pretty darn good at paying their way.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Great news. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You are blessed!

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    That is AWESOME!! I am sooo happy for you. do you have a light on your chickens??? Please say YES, because I have 53 hens and guess how many I got today??? Are you ready?? Here it is "1". UGHHHHHH...if they don't start up soon I will be in the poor house. Having to buy food and eggs...and NO, they aren't that young...the youngest is 18 weeks...and that's only 4 of them..the others are between 6 months and 3 yrs...Please someone help me out..tell me what I am doing wrong.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    D'Angelo N Va. :

That is AWESOME!! I am sooo happy for you. do you have a light on your chickens??? Please say YES, because I have 53 hens and guess how many I got today??? Are you ready?? Here it is "1". UGHHHHHH...if they don't start up soon I will be in the poor house. Having to buy food and eggs...and NO, they aren't that young...the youngest is 18 weeks...and that's only 4 of them..the others are between 6 months and 3 yrs...Please someone help me out..tell me what I am doing wrong.

Sorry, no light, no heat [​IMG]

What I do have are several breeds known to be good winter layers - first and foremost, my brahmas. They never let me down.
    Two sets of the pullets are breeds also known to lay well in wintertime - salmon faverolles and speckled sussex; though my turkens are laying well too. Really in the first year most pullets will lay well, even in wintertime. If you're going to see a slowdown in winter, it will be in their second year.

I don't expect this kind of production every day - yesterday I got 9 eggs from the babies and only 6 from the adults - but it's nice when it happens. [​IMG]

Are you sure someone's not hiding eggs on you? Or perhaps you have an egg eater(s)?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by