1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A new layer (only 6 eggs) sat in next box but didn't lay...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LT, Aug 21, 2011.

1. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    One of our Golden Comets is a new layer. Her first egg was one week ago today, and she laid for 4 consecutive days, skipped Friday and laid again Saturday. Today, she sat in the nest box, and went through all the rituals of laying, including singing her "victory" song, but laid no egg. Is this normal? It was really hot here yesterday, could this be a factor?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    It's normal and yes the heat can be a major factor in it. Your lucky you got so many consecutive eggs in a row from a new layer!!

3. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Thanks! I think we did get spoiled with so many eggs the first week. It was very hot here towards the end of the week, but when I heard her "song" this morning, I was surprised to find nothing in the nest box. We are supposed to have cooler weather here this week, so I hope that helps.

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    It still possible that she may still go back and lay an egg for you sometime today--she may not have her "schedule" down yet. They forgot to read the manual that says please lay before noon everyday...LOL Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've had a couple hens do that, too. Usually they go back a little later and lay the egg - or sometimes it's like they just enjoy the time away from the others for awhile. Who knows?! LOL!

6. Sexybit

Sexybit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    We have a Golden Comet that just started laying also. Her first egg was 8/4 and she also laid 4 eggs in a row and then stopped. It was very hot and humid here during that time. She started laying again a few days later. She lays for several days and then stops for a day or two before she starts again. I guess she just needs to find her groove! Congrats on your new eggs!!!

7. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    My husband reminded me that she didn't lay until late in the afternoon on Friday. I will definitely check the nest boxes again later today. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  8. LT

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Well, we got an egg today, but it was cracked and the shell wasn't as nicely formed. I think we got spoiled because all of her other eggs have been perfect, just small. But I think the heat is really the factor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by