A New Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by #1California Chick, Dec 10, 2008.

1. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Hi

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't have any chickens YET!! I have become TOTALLY addicted to this site!!

I want to get some day old chicks (from a feed store - since I can only have about 6 hens in my town) after the first of the year.

Given my relatively mild climate, how soon can I put them out into a coop (what temp?? How many weeks old??) (I am prepared to start them out in a extra large dog crate in a bathroom or the garage - but I am not sure how the rest of the family will cooperate!! -- I mean -my teen daughters wont allow me to have worms in a container under the sink!! But I have three boxes full of worms in the yard!![​IMG]

I think that the Deep Litter method is where I would go for the coop. I intend to have a dirt-based run. Can I use the "deep litter" idea here too? I was thinking that until I (or my DH) actually get around to building the coop and run next spring I could start "preparing" the run area by piling on leaves, manure, etc. I was thinking that this would give a good start to the "scratching" area since I would not be able to let my chicks "free range". There is a hawk that hangs out in my yard. Once the rains start (could be another month or so -- this IS California), I was thinking that I would scatter the area with grass seed -- so there would be plenty of "greens" when my chicks moved in.

Anything else I should thing about??

I am SO EXCITED to begin!![​IMG]

Cindy

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
  3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Hey Cindy! [​IMG]

It's about time we got the #1 California Chick! I was getting sick and tired of all the posers like debiraymond... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (oh, no he didn't!) [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

6. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

You might check out some of the coop designs here on BYC. The local stores won't have baby chicks for a few more months. You could get a headstart on them and build the coop first in the mean time. It's much easier to have every thing ready to begin with. You can put a heat lamp on them in the coop and not mess with litter in the house.

Welcome to BYC and I'm sure you'll find everything you need here!

[​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Apparently he did. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster