A new method or myth-od ???? Lockdown SWEET Lockdown ;) day 18 of shapes and sexes batch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mschkweasnduck, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Mschkweasnduck

Mschkweasnduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    I love the smell of Lockdown in the morning :) this will be my 3rd HatchBatch since last year (took the winter off ) and my largest one to date...which is still relatively small...but big for my amateur hiney . I did try a new method this time, I read a rid bit some where's recently, about 27 days ago actually haha...about the shapes my ladies laid revealing the gender of my chick...sharp,pointy egg...cockerel...round...volumptuos [​IMG] ,shapely egg...pullet. So of course most of my batch is shapely and 5 have "R"s on top .lol.now I know I know....myths are everywhere...but this one made sense,kinda...look at women....shapely...curvy. Look at men ,straight....tall,no curves (usually [​IMG] )
    So wish me luck ,I will keep us posted on my results (I'm pretty eggcited!!!)
    I am off to lay my lil fluff butts on their sides and lock em down ,nice and tight :)
    I've finally ,with this 3rd go about,learned to be patient and leave em as be as can be ;)
    Which is my biggest tip I think to share along with any one newer than myself at incubating . Happy hatching . Mschkweasnduck OUT :D

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Myth

3. Mschkweasnduck

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    :D sounded way too good /easy to be true...but the one thing I can definitely count on is they'll be chicks !! And cute ;)
    Lol thank you

4. Mschkweasnduck

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    One more day[​IMG]

5. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    How you gonna sex them?

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    You'll need to keep them separate or mark them somehow until they are old enough to sex... that might be tough. Unless they are autosexing / sex linked, in which case I guess it would still be useful because then you could just choose "female" eggs to incubate and eat the males.

In any case, I say its a myth. The egg shape would seem to have more to do with the hen's anatomy than the chick's sex.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Too Many Chickens Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    @lazy gardener tried this, not sure what the results were.
    -Banti

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I live in a small rural town where almost everybody has chickens that has space and it is common knowledge that the long, pointy eggs are cockerels and the short, round eggs are pullets. Not only are the eggs supposed to be round for a pullet - if the top is bumpy it will be a cockerel. So the short, round, smooth-topped eggs are girls and the long, pointy, bumpy ones are boys. Of course, you have to see the eggs when they are relatively fresh to tell if they will be good for girls or not. All eggs get smooth after a while. I've hatched chicks before set for pullets according to this method, and all that lived were girls.

So, I guess it could be coincidental, but I think there might be something to it. [​IMG]

9. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Ive spent most of my life in small rural towns or outside of them and theres many old wives tales.
    And this is one of them

1 person likes this.
  10. Mschkweasnduck

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    I've marked the most "pointy " eggs with a "R" for "Rats!!!" Lol and the rounded tipped eggs are just blank so I'm going to ....wait ,they'll hatch while I'm away or asleep [​IMG] well thank you Rod-T ...now I'm going to put a lil teeny baby fence between the "r"s and the pullets ;)
    Phew. ..but the way I'm trying is a myth I'm sure...just curious
    I hear pip pip pippin comin from inside ,started around noon :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by