A new one: pooped a soft egg from roost during night?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rojororeo, Aug 28, 2013.

1. rojororeo

rojororeo Songster

May 14, 2013
    Okay, so I haven't the slightest how to google this one!
    I was cleaning the night's poop our from under the roosts just now, and there is a soft busted egg, with yolk and white, mixed in with the poop. I didn't see any evidence of having purposely laid it there (all the nearby poop is not disturbed), so my guess is that it was pooped there from an above roost?!
    Should I worry, or strike this up to chicken keeping randomness?!
    Everyone seems healthy. We have been getting about 9 eggs every day from 12 hens, with the occasional 7-8/day mixed in.

Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Crowing Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. rojororeo

rojororeo Songster

May 14, 2013
    I think you are correct! It ended up being an easier search than I realized... the location of the lay was what got me, but several others have posted the same worries for their just coming into lay pullets, which mine are.
    Thanks for that link! I am still learning how to do the searches on this site :)

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Probably no big deal. I found this in my chickens "swimming pool" I gave them the other day, yuck.

[​IMG]

How old are your chickens? When they are young it's normal to get weird eggs. I'm not concerned about my shell-less egg but I am wondering about another egg I got the same day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by