a new problem

Denisemomof4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
I have a thread I started yesterday. I thought my chicken broke it's neck. Then I started to suspect wry, now I'm fairly confident she either has Mareks or a deficiency which is causing her to have what appears to be uncontrollable use of her wings/legs. I think I know the course of treatment I want to do for that, but now I feel I can't do ANYTHING until our new problem is solved.

I fed her baby bird formula, very thick, this morning until she wouldn't take anymore. This evening I scrambled up an egg and was feeding bits of it to her at a time. It was taking so long and I felt she needed more fat so I mixed half the egg with thick formula again. I got most of it down her, but she clearly was not interested in food or water.

About an hour later, maybe sooner, I noticed that she had this HUGE air bubble in her crop. It's still there now, 7 hours later. The only thing I can think of is maybe a piece of the scrambled egg was too large and it is blocking the crop? I'd say the few larger pieces were the size of a small pea. My chick is around 3 months old I believe.

I can't get any of the vitamins in her until the crop issue is solved. I just gave her one syringe of ACV in water.

WHAT can I do about this crop issue? I'd say she had maybe 2 tbsp of formula/egg mixture before she really started to fight it off.

I can't say the crop issue has changed her condition, I can only say that although she can't stand, she is moving her legs around quite a bit. I'm glad she's at least moving some.

I've read a ton here about the crop. I just don't know what to do. I'm SO tired. Can anyone help?
he.gif
:he

at about 2 am i put a hole in crop with needle. i heard no hissing and felt no air escape. air is gone today, chick more alert, but shes still got food in her crop 14.5 hrs later, shes completely emaciated. im so upset i cant feed her.

im massaging the crop. i hope someone with experience can help with this crop issue.

shes still laying around anable to stand, she is junping out of mt lap, almost like in pain??? im wondering if its a neurologic issue and not mareks, bummed i cant get vitamins in her until crop empties.

pls help with crop issue.

sorry for 1 hand typing.

i stopped typing and started to massage crop again. ITS EMPTY!!!!!!!!!!!! or near empty!!!

can SOMEONE please advise?

She's in her cage now so I have two hands to type.
big_smile.png

I know it's usually recommended that you not feed for 24 hours when this crop issue happens. Because she's SO emaciated I want to go get plain yogurt to feed her and I want to chop up REALLY TINY a garlic clove to put into it. I also want to give her the water with the vitamins I got to treat wry: Polyvisol, B12, E and selenium. If she does well with all of that, once her crop empties I want to give her the yogurt with the baby bird food for extra fat. Since coconut oil is antifungal, I'd like to throw some of that in with both feedings.

Anyone have any input on this? Please?

I wish I could help...I'm still fairly new to all this. Maybe if you edit your posting heading to say Urgent or HELP you might get someone to notice. Good Luck!

WHY would her crop fill up with air when she's only drinking water?

Can ANYONE please help ASAP?!?!?!?! I'm NOT having good luck finding a vet nearby who can help her. It's Friday afternoon and a hurricane is coming.
he.gif
:he:he

Looks like you may want to try tube feeding her... sounds kinda freaky, but chickens are easy. Are you near anywhere you can come up with the syringe and hose?? I homemade one out of fishtank air hose, just make sure to smooth down the edges on the feeding end, filed and heated with a lighter. I understand completely if you don't want to, but it looks like you are at that point..
Air in the crop MIGHT be something fermenting, or she just may be gasping-gulping?? I don't want to sound like an expert, It's just that I've been thru alot of these sleepless nites, too. I wish you the best... Roberta

Quote:
thank you. I'm afraid if I try the above I'll hurt her. I'll keep it in mind. I did find a vet who sees exotic animals. I fear he's going to be a waste of a lot of money for my chicken but will give it a try.

The air did go down fairly quick so I'm going to try the garlic/yogurt to see if her crop fills again.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom