A NEW ROOOSTER IN THE FLOCK

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HAPPYCHICKENLADY17, May 18, 2019.

1. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    i have 16 laying hens and 1 rooster (buff orphington) he is 18 weeks......he is tearing up my hens...they fight back and make him run and hide......i feel i should give him a chance, i was not expecting to ever have a roos...have no intentions on hatching any baby chicks... he got mixed up with the buff pullets i purchased......confused on what to do with him....he jumped on my ameraucana and 12 feathers flew off her....made me sad for her........please help...think i should rehome him????

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It can take a cockerel a while to perfect his mating skills. Some recommend separating cockerels from the flock and reintroducing them when they are more mature and slightly less testosterone driven.

Brahma Chicken5000, Camellia and aart like this.
  3. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Songster

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    i have no where to put him til he matures, except a large dog cage, he will go crazy locked up there

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Yes, I think you should rehome him if possible. You did not plan to get him, and roosters are kind of a crap shoot, and don't always work out in every flock. They take some experience, and they need some age.

And I think he is stressing you, always solve for the peace of the flock, not every bird will work.

Mrs K

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    18 weeks is peak for problems...
    ....pullets aren't ready to mate and most cockerels don't know that.
    I'd have put him on the grill a month ago.

At least put him in the crate for most the day to protect the girls.
    No he won't like it, but he'll adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: