1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A NEW Rooster with NEW chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backwoodbrigade, Jun 29, 2011.

1. backwoodbrigade

backwoodbrigade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi all! Now that my coop has been built, i found a lady who raises chickens. .i am going to get 6 Rhode Island Reds that are already laying.. they have a nice big (8x8x10) coop and a large yard to free range. .so here is my question. .

I would like to get a rooster, and found a beautiful black pure bred Australorp. . i would like to get him to add to the flock im getting. .do i need to quarantine him for 30 days or so?

Also, i heard it's not necessarily good, because he could fertilize the eggs, and they could be spoiled? Any thoughts on this??

I would like to get him because he looks great, and we live on a mountain. .perhaps he would be a good guard for the flock??

Any thoughts, as i am new to this and have no clue. .

Thanks.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I will speak to the fertilized eggs... They are not "spoiled." You can eat them just like any other egg. They need a hen setting on them in order to develop. Just collect them every day.

3. backwoodbrigade

Jun 16, 2011
    but will they have blood in them?

Should i get this rooster?

will he be a good addition, or is it better to just have hens. .

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Eggs will be fine. Yes a good rooster will give his life to protect his flock. But there's no guarantees. I would quarantine as you mentioned.

5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:Tiny blood spots can occur in unfertilized eggs as well. It is not a sign of fertilization. They do not hurt anything and you can still eat the egg.

You will have to decide whether or not it is practical for you to get a rooster. Are you in an area where it is okay to have one? Will the crowing bother you or your neighbors? I would ask about the temperament of this rooster. Is he good to the hens and not overly rough? Is he protective? Is he aggressive toward humans?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Got a pic of the roo?

7. backwoodbrigade

Jun 16, 2011
    The person i'm getting him from says he's great with his flock. . he's a good "leader", who is protective and gets them in the coop at night. .

how will he be with a totally different flock? How should i introduce them?

When i asked this guy about quarantining the rooster. .he said "heck no". . just put him right in the coop with the hens. . is this ok??

I'm getting the 6 hens tonight, and the rooster tomorrow morning.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. .thanks

8. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sorry. I don't have a rooster, nor have I ever integrated flock before (still have my original four). You will read on here, however, that most people seem to advise a quarantine. There are also various ways to introduce new flock members. I'm guessing that you can probably find some ideas that will fit what you are trying to do.

Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by