A new Secessionist movement?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Very Interesting stuff!

County Supervisor Proposes 51st State Cut Out of Southern California
    Published July 03, 2011
    FoxNews.com

Reuters
    Dec. 13, 2010: A lone surfer walks out to ride waves at Pacific Beach during a warm weather spell in San Diego, Calif.
    A Riverside County, Calif., official is reportedly proposing cutting out 13 counties in Southern California and seceding from the rest of the state.
    Supervisor Jeff Stone is presenting his proposal to the county's Board of Supervisors on July 12, the Press Enterprise newspaper reports. He is arguing that the recent budget passed by the California Legislature and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown is basically a raid on local budgets to cover profligate spending.
    "We have a state Legislature that has gone wild. They just don't care. Their goal was to get a balanced budget so they could continue to get a paycheck," Stone is quoted by the newspaper as saying. "There is only one solution: A serious secession from the liberal arm of the state of California. I know the state of California can do better."

Brown's office scoffed at the idea.
    "A secessionist movement? What is this, 1860?" Brown spokesman Gil Duran reportedly said.
    Other officials said any such plan is unlikely, but a former state lawmaker who pushed secession in the 1990s told the Press Enterprise that the state is increasingly unruly, especially with a population pushing 40 million.
    "People like to gather together and govern themselves and now this state is so big. It seems so wide and so dysfunctional," Stan Statham was quoted saying, noting that the northern and southern parts of the state have little in common.
    Stone's proposal comes after the state took $14 million from vehicle license fees -- which reportedly accounts for 22 percent of one Riverside County community's funding -- in order to help close California's $26.6 billion deficit.
    The counties included would be Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, Orange, San Bernardino, Kings, Kern, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera, Mariposa and Mono, which account for 13 million California residents.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Wow! Actually a good idea, IMO. I wonder what they will call this new state...

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No thank you.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    A great idea! I always new there was a northern and southern california, I would like to see that happen in Oregon only a rural and urban state division. The guy has guts. If they wait long enough it will seperate on its own... San Andrea fault?

5. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think its pretty neat actually

6. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Interesting.

I suppose it shows that some look at the needs of their immediate community, and some focus on a much larger one. Yet... if people took care of their own a bit more often.. wouldn't the bigger picture look prettier more quickly?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

They want to call them Southern California and Northern California, like the Carolina's. Ridiculous!!!!

Squishy, the Supervisor suggesting this, as well as the portions he suggests cutting, are all conservative cities and counties. The rest of this state is not. The conservatives of this state are ALWAYS the minority.

8. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Meh. Various states yap about secesseding from themselves at various times. They never wind up doing anything about it.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Or maybe some people just want to be left alone by the masses. I am happy to just pay my taxes and be left alone but people in the cities want to tell country folk how to live. At least here in Oregon. If folks would mow their own grass they would not need to tell their neighbor to mow theirs.

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I have parts of mine I deliberately DONT mow.. so I have room for the rabbit tractors to move around on. I don't care all that much about competing with the Jones's but my place doesn't look unkempt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by