1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A new twist for protien...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by southerndesert, Jul 8, 2011.

1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Ran into a fellow that has been keeping chickens for many moons so naturally we got to talking chicken and when we got onto the subject of feeding bugs he said he is a light farmer.... [​IMG]

Turns out he hangs a bug light from a pole in the run at night and when his girls come out in the morning breakfast is freshly cooked and laying on the ground....

Interesting approach I had to admit

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I hang a bug zapper in my run. Auto pop door & the chickens have fillet mignon every morning.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am definitly going to have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    A day doesn't go by that I don't get an idea from the folks on BYC. I love it!!!!

5. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    SOMETHING NEW [​IMG] GREAT IDEA.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Hmmm, must be for penned birds since my free ranging birds won't touch the stuff under my bug zapper. I have tried sweeping them up and giving them to my birds in the tractors but they scratch through it and leave them. I suppose mine like juice with their morning bugs.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Mine are penned at night & let out every morning at 9 AM & back in the coop at dusk. My birds are lazy they love an easy meal.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We actually saw a bug zapper at Ace and thought the same thing. The box said bugs were zapped and fell to the ground. I thought, well, I know a few girls who might just make that the new hangout. Dinner at the Fly-thru at Maison d'oeuf

9. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    My grandpa and me have done that for years.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:And ya been keeping it secret? [​IMG] Just kidding, but so has the feller that told me about it and he said it is amazing how many bugs are cooked and ready for the flock some mornings... Just never crossed my mind in all the years I have kept these critters [​IMG]

Thinking of hooking one up tonight to try it out, hmmmm wonder if the sizzle sound and light would unnerve night stalkers a bit as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by