A new way to feed my ducks treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tdgill, Sep 29, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks enjoy a bit of scratch and sunflower seed like their chicken buddies, but get crowded out at times. So, today I accidentally threw a bit into one of their water pans and they loved it! The sunflower seeds float and the scratch sinks. No chickens bothered with the treats in the water pan and the ducks had it all to themselves and had a blast! :)

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Good idea, I'll have to try that. I didn't know ducks could eat sunflower seeds. I ended up with a 4 mo old Black East Indies duck, so far I haven't gotten it a buddy. So, I know nothing about ducks, but somewhere I thought I read not to give seeds to ducks. I'm guessing you have been feeding them to yours for a while with no problems?

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

hopefully they meant "wild" ducks. As in, it's not good to condition wild ducks to depend on handouts from humans.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, my Cayugas LOVE to bill the BOSS out of my hands when they're in their pool, swimming. A bunch of it floats and they chase it around. It's almost as much fun as when I dump peas into their pool.

I like the BOSS because it's a chicken treat, too, and they know to take it from my hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by