A new way to kill chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen62, May 22, 2019.

1. Karen62

Karen62 In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2019
    This seems to be my year for killing chicks. First I bought a little giant heat lamp with "teflon like" coating and the coating gassed off and suffocated a bunch of chicks. Then I built a fire in the stove and suffocated some more. I could swear I have lit this stove with the chick box there in years past, but I'm not doing that again.

2. cluckcluckhens

cluckcluckhens Songster

May 4, 2015
    I am so sorry this happened to you. We just have a clip on light for our chicks. We used this almost seven years ago. I believe the bulb is suppose to 100 degrees I think I read years ago. We have to get a bigger box now after eleven days. They are starting to fly in the box.

3. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Songster

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    So sorry to hear of your troubles! Sounds so sad but I’m sure you won’t be repeating those mistakes (we all have all new mistakes to make!).

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  4. janiedoe

janiedoe Songster

May 7, 2017
    East Texas
    I'm so sorry for your loss. We all make mistakes. All we can do is learn from them and advise others so they don't make the same mistakes.
    Good luck with your next chicks.
    I found instructions for the mama heating cave here on BYC. I love it and will use it again if I raise chicks again.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  5. -BOGGS-

-BOGGS- Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    ohio
    OUCH! so sorry..live and learn, we all go threw it from time to time

janiedoe likes this.
  6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I swear, raising chickens is just a series of "what fresh stress is this?" and then learning how not to make that mistake just so you can go make new ones!

I'm so sorry for your loss but try to chalk it up to the learning curve! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: