A newbie from Central Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Glaed, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Glaed

Glaed New Egg

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not good at introducing myself so I guess I'll just borrow this list.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Back in mid-early May, an old friend of the family gave us 6 1-week old chicks and a 10 month wyandotte rooster. Named the rooster Riley. Chicks turned out to be 5 hens (all of mixed breeds, but two or three of them were "Easter-eggers") and a mixed breed rooster that looked like a Rhode Island Red with white tailfeathers. We let them freerange, ended up losing two of the hens before they came of laying age. And then, right after they started laying the one that laid the most eggs out of them all got caught by something and killed, and the others stopped laying and haven't started back up for some reason.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    (3) What breeds do you have?
    Let's do two for one here. 15 mature or close to mature chickens, 7 of them bantams, 2 non-bantam roosters, 6 hens. Two of those are Barred Rocks, 4 we either don't know or I can't remember off of the top of my head.
    We got an order of brown egg layers in from a hachery today, 26 of them + two rare/exotic they threw in for free. Unfortunately one died in transport, and another is having trouble breathing and probably won't last the night. Shame. But hopefully we won't have many more losses.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    My dad told me about it, since I already spend a bunch of time on my computer he got me to get on here and start reading and learning. I figured if it helps us make sure more of those chicks we just got make it to maturity, sure why not? Not like I have much better to do.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Well, I enjoy reading forums a lot, I'm a little bit of a gamer. Mostly singleplayer, I tend to shy away from multiplayer games because the communities tend to be full of jerks. And uh, reading. Love to read. 500 words a minute, I know few people IRL or online that can match me there. Mostly because few of them enjoy reading. Shame.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Well, there's 5 of us; Mom, Dad, me, and my two little brothers. Littlest brother should have been born on a farm, he LOVES taking care of the chickens. Got four dogs; an Australian sheperd named Jack, a miniature Dachshund named Punkin (spoiled rotten little girl), and two standard Dachshunds: Lazarus, and Bentley. Unfortunately we're probably gonna have to get rid of Lazarus, he's killed two or three of our chickens that we know for sure it was him, and possibly up to 3 others. Other dogs could care less about them though, it's quite funny. I actually kept score between Riley and the dogs for the first few weeks we had him, he tore into the dogs and sent them off yelping and tail between their legs a BUNCH.
    One other interesting fact I'd like to share: neither myself, my dad, or my middle brother have our colon/large intestine any more. Rare genetic disease. But I'll stop talking here before I gross anyone out.

Anyway, there's my somewhat rambling introduction. Nice ta meet ya'll, looking forward to being around here. This is one of only a very few forums I've seen with such a welcoming and family-friendly atmosphere. I'll probably be doing a bunch of lurking for my first little while though. I've never been active on a forum with so many active users before.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida