1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Newbie from Lakeland, Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BC Williams, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BC Williams

BC Williams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    I swore I'd never live in this heat ever again. Four years in my early twenties was enough for any Ohio girl to endure, but LOVE brought me back. Recently married, I now live in Lakeland Florida, with a wonderful guy, a girl dog named Pete, and a fixer-upper on an acre +. I had a few chickens up north, so I know a little about the wonders of having them. The situation here is different, as I can't let them free range like my gals and roos up in the hills. (That girl-dog-named-Pete is a wrestler of anything that moves:)

My husband and I just bought a 12x12 x6 chain link dog run off a CL ad for 100.00. We now need to build a proper coop and get some girls. I'm not really into raising chicks from scratch without a momma, so I'll be looking for hens getting close to laying age. That too is on CL, but I'm not ready yet.

Couple questions:

{?} For the size of pen, how many hens (plus a roo?) can I manage?
    {?} What breed of chicken will work in this heat?

I'm so glad I found this place! I needed some kindred spirits, as my husband know nothing of raising chickens:)

Bev

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Quote:Hello and Welcome to BYC!
    If it was me I would keep 11 or 12 hens and 1 roo in that area.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and welcome back to sunny hot Florida. I live near Ocala. We have a lot of things going on around your area and in mine. I know several BYC members who can help you with chickens when you are ready.

As for your question on space requirements, in the coop the standard space is 4 square feet per bird and in the run 10 square feet per bird. Also, as far a breeds go, most breeds do well in Florida. The most important thing is to provide shade and plenty of water when it's hot. I also put sprinklers in and turn on the sprinklers when it's hot and the birds love it. I also wet down with cool water the shaded areas for them. They like to dust bathe in the damp soil in the shade. Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Bev. [​IMG] I know what you mean about the heat. [​IMG] It is getting a little old!

6. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hi, from Valdosta Ga!
    I would kep about 12 hens and a rooster there. A LOT of breeds are just fine living here. It is more like what breeds arent best suited for here.

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! The heat is something else! Good luck starting your flock!

9. BC Williams

BC Williams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Well thank you all for the nice welcome:) I'm getting so excited! We're working on the house and as soon as I finished posting earlier, I went over to . . . er . . . work! But we always come home for a break in the afternoon. My mind is buzzing with ideas. I'd never thought of having that many birds in what I considered a medium sized pen. Thank you cmom for the ratios of birds per feet:) Great info to know. What about red ants? My girls up north wouldn't even touch regular ants. Should I worry about my Florida girls?

10. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    mine eat ants. When i first put the run up it had a lot of ant beds on the inside as well as some termites as it used to be my wood pile. They devoured the termites, and i am pretty sure they ate the ants too. If they didnt eat the ants then the ants went somewhere else because i havent seen any in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by