a newbie needs help..eye bubbles and swelling?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by choppy, May 11, 2011.

1. choppy

choppy New Egg

May 11, 2011
    hi all, ive been a long time lurker first time poster and sadly my first post is in this section.

i have around 15 hens and 2 roo's, all mixes and 10 muscovie ducks. i also have a few adorable little chicks.

ive recently been losing a few chickens to unknown causes. they seem fine one day and dead the next. the only thing ive noticed not right with the poultry is the red bit round the face on one side looks swollen and the bird gets a sort of frothy foamy glob in the corner of the eye on that side of the face. none of the dead chickens have shown this symptom before dying, so dont know if its connected or not., ive checked everyone over thoroughly, listening to chests searching for bugs. every one seems 'healthy' no laboured breathing or crackling sounds, no discharge in the mouth/nose. all poops look normal, but egg production has dropped from 15 per day to 7 per day.
    one muscovy is also showing the foamy bubble in the eye thing, but ive read this can be a sign of stress in ducks so dont know if thats the same as what the chickens have.
    ive so far lost 4 hens and one roo since january.

they used to free range but after seeing a fox in the area i built them a large coop (50metres by 50metres) so they have to stay where i can see them now. this was built in january.

everyone is wormed twice a year and the houses are cleaned out, disinfected and dusted for mites every season

i put everyone on a course of denagard for 10 days but i dont think it did anything.

im not sure where to go from here. my hubby wont let me go to the vets with a chicken, he says for the price id pay to get 1 seen, i could buy a whole new flock. he's right in a way but i care that little bit more about my chickens than he does and couldnt just 'replace' them like that.

so if anyone could share their wonderful knowledge with me about what this could be, id be so grateful

we live in northwest uk, so weather is forever changing here, i guess that doesnt help.

2. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Welcome! [​IMG]

There are several threads that address the symptoms you have mentioned.

Have you tried the search feature on this forum? Try searching within the emergencies/illnesses/cures forum. Keyword eye bubbles. Google works, too, and can even link you to the most accurate threads in THIS forum.

On a lighthearted note: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+chicken+eye+bubbles [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. choppy

choppy New Egg

May 11, 2011
    hi many thanks for the quick reply [​IMG])))

i have done a bit of googling but eveything i come up with is Mycoplasmosis or coryza. yet the chickens show no other sign that half a swollen face and sometimes a frothy eye.

is it possible to have a sinus infection without all the other respitory tract being infected? im guessing whatever it is is infectious as third from the flock have or have had this swollen face thing. shame i cant post pictures yet. unless you were really staring at the chickens faces you wouldnt notice it, its not that bad but its something. should i try antibiotics again? maybe a different kind?

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Were you able to locate the threads in this forum that address eye bubbles, causes, and treatments?

(PS, keep in mind the posters are not vets and vets wouldn't practice through a forum. So, you get to be a bit of a detective, and either go to the vet, or make your best judgment as to how to proceed based on the info you find as it fits what you are witnessing.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by