A newbie, thanks for all the info.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thamasin, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Thamasin

Thamasin Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Grand Isle, Vermont
    My (10) 5 week old heavy mixed girls are outside in a run that is about 12x50. They are cooped up at night in a extra large dog house. I've fenced off half of it, and really beefed up fence security in that half. The other half will be fine as far as fencing goes, now that they are so much bigger. My new order of 15 chicks is coming next week. My plan is to keep the babies in the bathtub for a week or so. This worked very well earlier, as it gave my Labrador some time to get used to them, under close scrutiny. I'm planning to use a utility van for the permanent coop, and back it into the lower end of the run (the so far, unused part). I want to move the pullets there, and use what is already a great setup for the new babies once they move outside. They will be adjacent, but separate. I'm hoping that after a few weeks, I can remove the separating fence, and everyone will live peacefully in the van, and then they can be somewhat mobile. The new chicks coming are mixed Cochins (15), straight run, and 3 whiting blue. Going into the winter.....I plan on keeping my favorite cochin roo, and 15 layers. I love cochins, and I'm hoping that they will be good moms next spring. Sound good?

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    So if I understand you will have 25 chicks but you are only going to keep 15. The set up sounds fine. Do you have pictures of the set up.

3. Thamasin

Thamasin Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Grand Isle, Vermont
    [​IMG]Kind of bright today. I can't see the photo in preview either. Not sure, doing something wrong. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Not sure how to do it either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by