A noise concerns for chicks...Pics of chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Basement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Room next to

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I get my day-old chicks on the day my sister will give piano lessons. The chicks will be in the room next door. Will the piano playing cause them stress or scare them? I would put them in the basement but you can hear it there to. It will be quieter down there, though. Which do you think would be better? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I raise very skittish breeds and play a radio 24/7 to get them used to noise and the human voice.
    Anything can get used to just about anything.

3. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    I would think they would be fine. All my chicks spend their first few days (or weeks lol) in a main part of our house like the living room or kitchen. We have a pretty noisy household with three little ones, a couple dogs, lots of guests etc. I find that chicks I raise in the noisier environment tend to grow up to be much calmer birds. I think de-sensitizing them will help make them happier in the long run.

4. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I raise mine right on the kitchen bar counter in a 10 gallon aquarium brooder. I have 5 noisy kids , 2 barking dogs, dh and myself and we are always in the kitchen! My 7 week olds are now in the coop outside, and are calm as can be. I have 2 chicks in the brooder who get lots of attention and are also very calm. I think they get very used to the noise and it actually helps them in he long run.

5. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Shouldn't be a problem. Maybe they will trill to the piano tunes?

6. gotpotbellypig

gotpotbellypig Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    i play a radio a lot for my chickens and pig. They get used to hearing things.

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    that would be cute, wouldn't it? thanks guys, i feel so much better!!!!!

8. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    my brooder is in the livingroom. right next to the sliding glass door. i have a radio on 24/7, big dogs coming in and out, kitchen cooking, kids playing, tv, computer noises, and the whole 9....they sleep and eat and play just fine. :)

9. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    I would bet they actually like it. I don't think you need to worry. I know one lady who plays a banjo and she'll open the window when it's good weather and play. Every time she does that almost her entire flock comes and roosts under the window to listen and they trill along as well. :)

10. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm a terrible singer, but my chooks actually seem to enjoy my singing! I sing to them at night: "Good Night Ladies..." as they are going into the coop for the evening. It is flattering that they are so receptive to my singing voice, because no one else is. HAHA

The only sound they really seem to hate is that of yappy, loud, shrill dogs like terriers. They can't stand that, and it really stresses them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by