1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Normandy gosling walked onto my property!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kushberry, Feb 2, 2017.

1. kushberry

kushberry New Egg

Feb 2, 2017
    I live in the mountains and a gosling, all alone, just wandered down the hill one day and made herself at home. We have a billabong with ducks already on it, she had a couple of ducks look after her and we supplemented her food. She's been here for about 3 months and she is fantastic, her name is Gary, we adore her but every night & morning a group of ducks fly in and out and she gets really distressed and screams her head off! Is this normal? We are worried she may have seperation anxiety and think we either have to get another goose, or build her a pen for the night time.. She also swims full submerged underwater! We aren't sure if this is normal as well, she's learnt it from the ducks! Thank you for reading and any advice would be massively appreciated

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    Geese,I think, need goose friends. I had some when I was a kid (no room now but Oh How I Want Them!) and they did swim underwater when they were young. I'd get Gary a pen and some friends. I'm not sure about quarantining geese (like you would need to with chickens) but someone else would probably know about that and introducing, etc.
    Her name is Gary? I have a hen named Elliot. :)

3. kushberry

kushberry New Egg

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks so much Louise, we are getting the materials together for her pen. How great to know other geese swim underwater when they are young! Elliot is a very cute name for a hen[​IMG]

4. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017
    That's great! Are you going to find friends too?
    My favorite goose left me when she was a few months old, to join the geese my grandparents had on their pond. She had followed me around and been a great companion for months, but the 'wild' was calling. She lived over 20 years with that flock on the pond. If the ducks are friendly to her, she is probably happy. It might be a territory thing or, a salutation of some kind. A nighttime pen and aome friends would be good for her. Is she very tame?

5. kushberry

kushberry New Egg

Feb 2, 2017
    Unfortunately we didn't catch her when she was very young and now she is still quite skitish around us, and it would be pretty traumatic for her now if we were to catch her I think, so we are looking in to getting her a goosey friend. She may also be very had to get into a pen at night, but we will build something for her and give it a shot! Shes not a happy goose at the moment because she is just learning to fly and she flew into a string fence [​IMG] she is feeling a bit sorry for herself!

6. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017
    Poor Gary! Food is awesome for teaching her that you're a friend. Frequently throwing treats her way, gradually getting her to come closer...put food in the enclosure so she's comfortable there. Food. Everytime I've had to rescue anything, FOOD. Haha. It works wonders. Anyway, if you need to catch her, look for a waterfowl rescue website to find what would work best for your situation. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by