A not so broody hen

Ssager

Hatching
Mar 6, 2019
Hi
So I have 1 duck hen and 2 drakes. I used to have 2 more hens i tried and failed at introducing to the flock but they have since disappeared ( I think flown away)
So I’m left with my original 3.
She has started laying eggs 1 every morning. She is housed with the 2 drakes whom she usually mates with the same 1. The other doesn’t seem to interested.
She has made a little spot for herself and every morning she’s laying on her nest.
I usually collect them every couple of days and give them to friends etc. but I was thinking of letting her hatch some. But whenever I open the pen door she’s happy to leave for the day with the 2 drakes and never seems to want to return to the nest.
Should i leave her locked in for the days? Seems cruel she would get lonely and the boys would just wait but the pen all day as well.

If she has started laying in a designated spot, then leave her eggs. She will collect them over the course of time before she actually starts sitting on them. I thought my Welsh Harlequin duck would never go broody. I let her eggs collect over the course of about 3 weeks before I finally collected them. She was laying them in a doghouse whereas she normally would just lay them in random spots all over the yard. After I collected the eggs, I didn't find anymore for about 2 weeks. She started disappearing during the day until I finally saw her going under our shop. I finally was able to find her nest with 8 eggs in it that were about a week into development. They will go broody when they are ready even if they show the signs it may take a while. Our duck had become very quiet and extremely docile prior to going broody. I knew something was up the day I went to pet her and she started quacking like crazy, wagging her tail, and her feathers were all puffed up. My first instinct was to assume that she had a nest close by and I was correct.
20190420_112821.jpg
20190420_133326.jpg

I picked 4 this morning and I am going to give incubating them a go. But I will let her lay them and leave them after your advise! I didn’t realise they had to lay several before they decided to sit on them. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom