A Pair of Silver Sussex & Coronation is just a pair to hard on the hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Seeing Silkies, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    I am thinking of buying Silver Sussex pair & Coronation Sussex pair more if I can aford it. The more i buy the lower the cost per pair. a few things i need to know.

The silver sussex is being sold by pairs only.. Would that be to much for 1 hen? I always thought you need more hens then roos, so the roos dont over do them, to put it lightly.

(I have RIR and i wish i had 20 hens instead of 9 because the 1 roo really is hard on them)

pice is 300.00 per pair ( if i buy 2 pairs it would be 250.00 a pair BUT i cant aford that right now :-( ) - I would reather 2 hens and 1 roo - so I will keep trying, they are waiting for them to be old enough to tell the sex before selling, so i have a few more weeks I am hoping they have more hens then roos.

The coronation are being sold as chicks for 50.00 each or wait to they can sex them for 150.00 a pair I am sure i could save a little if i buy more to, have to talk to them about that.

These are from sets that were bought from greenfire farms

So my question is would it be ok to buy 1 set of each and it not be to much for 1 hen? They will be in different house & runs ( side by side ) but it would be 1 on 1???

These prices are the best I have found... are there any better prices that i am not seeing... aside from eggs I dont want to try that at all. Plus I dont want to ship eather & thats another 60.00 and they may not be alive when i get them

Any one near me looking - I will be driving for 2+ hours to pick them up, we could go together and save a little shhhhhhh

If you are an owner of them any pro's or con's I should know about??? i have been doing research but it just the basic things just like all chickens type info. I spoil my RIR & Silkies nothing basic at my house

I have a leat 2 or 3 weeks to let this set in and make sure it is worth investing this much money...

anyone interested in taken a jump with me be sure to pm me

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am not personally familiar with the breeds you are talking about, but I do know chickens and 1:1 ratio is going to be very hard on the girls. Even a roo that is a perfect gentleman is going to leave the hen barebacked. If you decide to get these pairs I would recommend getting saddles for the girls straight away before the damage is done.

I have 18 hens for 1 roo and he still leaves his favorite girl barebacked.

Good luck with your decision.

3. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Thats what i am thinking, I have silkies & show Girls 1 on 1 and the hens are not showing any roo marks... I am being told Sussex are the same way as Silkies.... I dont want to mix the breeds, but I dont want a unhappy hen eather [​IMG] I am going to try my best to at least get 2 hens & 1 roo even if i can only do one breed at a time, They are telling me it would be fine 1 on 1 - my gut is telling me not.

I have time to get all my info together and thats what i am trying to do
    Thank You for the reply

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Those breeds/lines are so new to the U.S. that hatching eggs are the cheapest way to go. I've only seen the pricing you've stated too, they'll come down in price with proliferation of breeders but that's all I've seen for getting pairs now. Most likely we'll be hatching Light Sussex eggs next spring.

If your not looking to hatch more RIR's you could get rid of that rooster then your Light sussex roo would have 10 girls. If that's not an option then you'll probably have to keep the roo and hen seperated excepting controlled courtship times. Who knows, perhaps he'll be gentle with her. You wont know how he'll behave until you have him, odds are she'll be overly loved. Is there such a thing as too much love? lol

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
  6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I would use a pen of the pullets/hens and a pen for the boys! If you place plywood or other solid fencing between them or place the boys pens away from the girls you should not have any bad fighting. Leave the pair together for a few days when you get ready for fertile eggs and leaving them apart for the rest of the time.. . I would NEVER leave a 1 to 1 ratio... After seeing what damage my rooster did to 11 hens!!

7. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:Was that Roo a RIR - I am hearing they are the worst on hens??? Dont know if they are trying to bost the want on the silver & coro sussex's, But they say ( i seen it on a few sites ) they say unlike most chickens that stray away from people, they are more like silkies. I have pairs of silkies that are great together, they hen is a fluffy are they get & I have hatched chicks from her eggs, I have another pen with a pair of Show Girls & a pair of Silkies, 2 hens 2 roos and all is good,

But I am set on I will have to have more hens for the 1 roo

What to do what to do

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    1 on 1 with birds that size won't work on a full time basis. If a pair or trio of each was all that I could get, I would have seperate pens for the hen and rooster. Supervised "conjugal" visits 2 or 3 times a week would assure fertile eggs for flock expansion.

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My roo was actually a beautiful Buff Orpington! I had heard they were great roosters, nice to the girls, easy w/ them--etc etc etc... Well, he was the exception--I guess! He pulled one of the hens thru the chicken yard and hurt her so badly she died (I caught him in the act), he pulled every feather on the head, neck and back of three hens and most of the others, he broke wing feathers, pullet out tail feathers and pulled out chunks of comb on two of them! And the last straw was the second attack on my 2yo grandson..who was playing in his sandbox... no where near the roo or his hens!

10. Seeing Silkies

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    It will be a see as it goes, as they age I will have to see if he will be a "nice roo" and if not he will have his own place.. From what I am reading & learning 2 hens & a Nice roo could work, for the Silver Sussex & Coronation Sussex, so if any one has a trio o them I would love to hear your thought, With there high price most owners start with a couple of trio, So let me know how it has work for you with these Sussex

Thank You all [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by