A pale comb, what to do?

sparkly_diamond

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have a lovely ISA Warren hen, she is two yrs old, she lays every other day. (It is freezing winter weather, approx -2 degrees C to max +9 degrees C)

I have only had her for one month and she is active, appears happy and eats very well. She has lovely bright eyes and has no discharge from her nose or eyes. Her poops are normal colour, consistancy and are regular, etc.

Since we have had her, she has had a very pale (and slightly scabby) comb.

She lives in a wooden spacious coop, with 4 other chicken (all hatched and brought up together) they are out for most of the day to scratch and wonder.

We feed her layers pellet and mash, barley, seed (various including sunflower), loads of kitchen scraps. (And although I wouldn't admit it to the other half, I buy them fresh veggies ontop of the kitchen scraps) Oyster shell and grit when ever they want it.

She has started to have a little bit of a rattle when she breaths, and even snores at night time, no real sneezing (only noticed one once) as I said no discharge.

Do you think we should be concerned? She is very happy and active so I am not sure were to act apon it.

This is a close up of her comb
45073_dsc07841.jpg

This is her in the coop next to her pal Lucy
smile.png

45073_dsc07669.jpg

Feeding and scratching around with the girls (front middle)
45073_dsc07787.jpg

This is her with the ladys of leisure lol (top right)
45073_dsc07784.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I am worried about her but in all other repects she seems fine.

Cheers x x

Are you sure she isn't a rose comb? Theirs tend to be small and pink...you might be able to soothe a scab with a *tiny* amount of bag balm occasionally, or vaseline...if she will ket you rub it in enough so it isn't sticky. Very pretty girl reminds me of my Ruby.

Last edited:
Thanks LynneP, I am new to keeping chooks so I wanted to make sure.

I think she is a rose comb and is very well in herself (other than the rattle and her snoring!) and I enjoy keeping the chooks so much I just couldn't bare it if she became il and I didn't act upon it.

Cheers x x

Back
Top Bottom