A pause in laying after the first eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by educate2inspire, Jul 27, 2013.

1. educate2inspire

educate2inspire Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The Dalles, OR
    Last week the day before we left town for the weekend we got out first egg [​IMG](That was a great story! lol, I'll share sometime) While we were gone someone checked on the girls and got one egg the next day and two eggs the last) When we got back we got another egg, followed by two eggs the following day (obviously figuring that more than one hen had started laying, in fact I know which two it was that day.) We got one more (making eight total) and now it's going on four days since we've seen an egg. [​IMG]
    I checked all the bushes they like to hang out in during the day and the garden beds and they haven't laid any eggs there. I know when birds start laying it can vary a lot, but is this odd since they seemed to be doing it regularly for most of a week? I have five birds, and I know for a fact that one of them has given us at least two eggs and I can only connect one of the other eggs to a specific hen. So there are three that may or may not have been contributing. Just looking for some insight from those of you with more experience in this. Four are 22 weeks old, including the two I know have given us eggs, and one is 20 weeks old. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's normal for them to be sporadic when they start laying. It's all part of their bodies adjusting to laying. Just be patient, you will get more eggs soon.

3. educate2inspire

Jan 12, 2012
    The Dalles, OR
    Thank you! I knew that was supposed to be the case, so when they started out being so regular (I assume it was the two, maybe one more threw an egg in the mix) I thought maybe they wouldn't have an adjustment period. It's funny because so many of the things I'd heard about as common issues have not been problems for us, I think I may have "Super Chickens!! lol

4. Katcynth

Katcynth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Glad I saw this! We just started getting eggs this week, 2 day one, 3 day two and three, 4 yesterday and only 3 today so I was afraid someone might be eggbound so this makes me feel better...

5. educate2inspire

Jan 12, 2012
    The Dalles, OR
    That's awesome! How many chickens do you have? Yeah, I was slightly worried about the same thing, but they didn't have any symptoms that I could tell, whew![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by