A pehaps overparanoid mom...

allisonw5

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 7, 2008
Hi you all!

I am new to this page and to raising chicks. I just got six arcaunas 8 days ago. They are in a carboard box with a 60 watt bulb over them and everything has been going great. We have given them recently, some grass seed, small worms and guava. They go outside everyday for about 15 minutes (we are in hawaii so it is warm). I recently began putting in grass, dirt etc into the box aside from the newspaper and they love it so I have continued that. They are active, growing vigorously and very aware. Stool seems normal. A couple have been sneezing a but, but not too often and they are otherwise acting fine.

Then I started reading about how sterile people keep their chicks environment and I got a bit worried. Am I on the right track? Now that they have some small amount of food besides (unmedicated) mash should I get grit? Am I being too easy going for them?

Thanks for any advice and help.

I'm not sure about your questions but I wanted to say welcome to this most cool website, I think you will love it here! I know I do, I live in here now.

Also, I think there are as many ways to care for chicks as there are chicks that need to be taken care of so if they are growing nicely and eating good, offer some grit along with everything else and remember to lower the heat by 5 degrees each week.

Do they have a coop or shed or barn to graduate to when they are fully feathered?

Quote:
The problem with an overly sterile environment is that the immune system may not be as strong in the end. If your chicks are doing well then keep doing what you are doing. Think of it this way. Would those chicks be in a cleaner environment if mom was raising them in a coop? No

If you have them on dirt they will pick up small stones/sand out of it. So no need to get grit.

I first want to say
welcome-byc.gif
. Also, I think what you're doing w/ your chicks rt now is perfectly fine. If you want some extra info to read, try reading the "Raising Chickens 101" on the forum's main page. They may be sneezing just due to getting grass, dirt or food up their beaks, but
idunno.gif
. Just take notice of how much they are sneezing bc if it's just here and there & not constant then it's probably nothing to worry about. In giving them the grass, just make sure the blades of grass aren't too long [should be very small pieces 4 chicks] bc even adult chickens can end up having a crop problem. That's my 2 cents worth for now.
big_smile.png
What part of Hawaii are u in?

welcome-byc.gif
and congrats on your new babies!

I agree with what the others have said. There's nothing wrong with a more 'natural' upbringing, as long as your chicks seem happy and healthy! But grass CAN be a problem, so if they're chowing down on it, make sure the pieces are small.

I remember when I freaked out because a little chick gulped down a giant corn worm... I thought the worm was so big it would eat its way out through her belly or something... of course the little girl was fine. Anyway, my point is, I think these guys can be tougher than we give them credit for! and if mom was raising them, they'd probably be eating every piece of grass or worm they could find.

PS -- newspaper isn't the best litter... can lead to spraddle leg... maybe try pine shavings/hay?

Thanks for the info/reassurance and welcome.

It's funny how we sometimes forget to trust in natures process.

In answer to the brood/barn question, I have a movable chicken tractor that rolls on old lawnmower wheels that a friend of mine and I recently built. Until they are old enough to live outside, I am adding boxes on to make a bigger box- they grow so fast!

Pine needles arent the easiest to get around here, but maybe I will try some dry grass or something.

Thanks again!

welcome-byc.gif
Allison! Congrats on the new babies!

We have given them recently, some grass seed, small worms and guava

Grass seed purchased commercially often has chemicals added to it to make it grow more quickly, and to prevent the growth of fungus. Not sure chicks should eat it.​

Back
Top Bottom