A Perfect Afternoon

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by wegotchickens, Apr 16, 2009.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Today I got home from work, put all 13 chicks outside to play in the 'baby corner', let the 8 big chickens out, got my chores done, and then relaxed in the sunshine with a new book from the library. The big chickens, baby chickens, and all 3 cats (our 2 + DD1's from her dad's) were around me in harmony as I sat in the sun.
    DH and DD2 got home and joined me, then DD1 came out and joined us as well. Every critter at my house was outside, in the sunshine with me, peacefully hanging out together. It was absolutely awesome!

And it lasted! DD1 played with chicks as well as her cat. DD2 chatted with us all. I told them which chicks were being sold at the poultry show 5/2. DH kept the sarcasm friendly and to a minimum. After a little while we all decided on something simple and easy to have for dinner, and DH went in to make it while DD1 took care of her cat and DD2 helped me wrangle the babies as they were put away for the evening.

It was only a couple of hours, but it was pure heaven for me. I feel more positive than I have in ages. We've had so much upheaval in our lives from 2/25 through now. So many tears and so much anguish that a 'normal' day seems noteworthy and special. I pray that we have more of them, and that they all feel as special and noteworthy to me!

Thanks for letting me share.
    Thanks for the kind words of support when we were going through the worst days!! [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Glad today went well for you. [​IMG] I've been so busy lately that I haven't taken enough time to enjoy everything...I need to do more of that.

3. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

God decided you were due for a blessing today !! I am learning to never take these good days for granted.....your post reminded me of that. Thanks.....Peace to you . God bless! [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Definitely take time to enjoy everything!

I know the heartache my kids feel over their dad's death is still with them.
    And DH is still unhappy that we have a 3rd cat now. Not to mention more chicks than he ever wanted.
    And I'll still be the rope in their game of tug-o-war for my heart.

But to all just relax together and be social was so special to me. We eat dinner as a family every night, but that hour in the sun before dinner was unusual. Something you can't make happen, it just happens on its own.

Still smiling just thinking about it [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Nope, never take those days for granted. [​IMG]

6. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Wow, that sounds like a wonderful memory you've made. You can go to that memory whenever you need a 'happy thought'.[​IMG]

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:And I'll need it a lot, I'm sure.
    The bad times aren't over, I know. But I see light at the end of the tunnel now. On Wed I was telling DH that things at the house were so stressful that sometimes I dreaded getting home from work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by