a perfect nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wpchicks, Dec 5, 2010.

1. wpchicks

wpchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    [​IMG]

We have had our chickens just under a month and found our first egg cracked beneath the perch. I wasn't
    actually expecting to find our first egg in the box but I would sure like to get them there asap. We have golf
    balls in there and they spend the majority of their time in the coop so I'm wondering if there is anything
    else we can do to make the nest boxes more attractive for egg laying. Are they too open, not dark enough maybe?
    Any insights would help.

(and incase you couldn't tell, the boxes are just behind the feeder, which actually isn't there anymore)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Gosh what a pretty coop!

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They'll get the hang of it. The first few, they don't really know what's happening, so don't know to seek out the nest box. Once they get the hang of it, they'll head to the nest box when they "feel the urge".

4. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Coop envy! [​IMG]

My chickens do not get in their boxes often. They mostly lay eggs in the doghouse! lol

5. wpchicks

Nov 6, 2010
    Ya it was pretty, now it's covered in chicken poop - "ewe that's nasty" as my three year old says.
    He loves to go help daddy clean out the chicken coop, but he calls it the "chicken poop". [​IMG]

As we've been going out to check for eggs but have only found golf balls thus far, he's been telling
    everyone that "my chickens no lay eggs, they lay olf balls." Now wouldn't that be a fun business,
    home grown organic golf balls. [​IMG]

Hopefully soon the other two will be laying as well (and in the boxes of course)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] That's so cute!

7. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    very nice chicken poop.

8. wpchicks

Nov 6, 2010
    We went to check on the chickens this morning and found little Cookie in the nest box. I wasn't sure if she was laying an egg or just hanging out in there.
    But she kind of gave me that look like I'd just walked in on her going to the bathroom. Went back to check a little bit later and there it was, a cute little brown egg,
    nestled on top of three golf balls.

So my hens are supposed to lay about 3 eggs a week, is it possible that when they first start laying to lay two days in a row? Or do I have two chickens now laying eggs?
    Either way we are very excited, and huge bonus that it was done in the nest box. YIPPEEE SKIPPEEEE![​IMG]

9. ezgreen

ezgreen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    Yay for the cute little brown egg!

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Keep hoping, It will eventually happen. I walked each "lady" up the ramp, then gave her "the talk" reminding her from whence her bread is buttered...with in a day they were laying in the nests. BUT I sure it would of happened anyway. Each new batch of pullets lay an egg or two on the coop floor. I've even found one in the entrance to the second run. Like kids being potty trained...it will happen...eventually [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by