A phantom cry ***UPDATED post #11*** W/Pics :)

chickencoop31320

Have bator, will hatch
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Southeast Georgia
Okay, just to fill you in a little about our mornings...
caf.gif

During the week we get up at 04:30 around here due to my daughter being in a program to help her with school and things, she has to be there at 05:30 and it's about 15 miles away. So when we get up it's a mad dash to get dressed, let dogs out and back in, locked up in their kennels and get me and 2 kids in the car before about 10 after.
This morning my son was letting the big dogs back in and we heard a noise... kinda like a weird cry.
I asked him "what was that?"
he says "there's a squirrel caught in the fence!"
then
"no wait, it's a chicken!"
barnie.gif

I rush outside and run up and along the fence and see NOTHING.
No more cries, no chicken, no squirrel... A BIG WHOPPIN NOTHING.
As I am grumbling and looking around on my way back to the door, I notice the gate to the chicken run is unlocked!
Apparently my daughter didn't lock the gate after watering last night... and to top it off... all the chickens were in the run because she didn't lock them up last night either!
he.gif

I didn't think I was awake enough to be that ticked!
rant.gif
somad.gif
smack.gif

It's about light out now, gotta go see if there was a chicken out or not... anyone else have this happen?

Last edited:
Things like this happen when you leave the sole responsibilty for such to a child.
I never trust that things are done properly every single time, I always go out behind and double check.

Edit to add A lot of times I go back out after I have been out there and done the job myself just to be double sure.

Last edited:
Okay, I just went out and checked.
All Silkie roosters accounted for. (my son swore it was one of them)
None of them are out of the pen.
I asked my son "did you SEE a chicken?"
"yes mom"
"I think you HEARD a chicken, they're all in the pen"

I should have mentioned that there is a spring on the gate to the run, keeps it mostly closed...
if they push on it too hard, it will open some.

I'm just so glad they are all in the pen & safe
woot.gif

Quote:
I usually do check behind her, but last night I was a bit distracted... I spent my whole day trying to get my truck fixed and then had a FRG meeting to go to. I ended up not being able to go to the meeting because we got home too late.

She isn't much of a child either, 13 this month and swears she's grown
gig.gif

Last edited:
Sometimes a rabbit will let out a scream when it's cornered/caught. It's the most disturbing sound ever, worse than peacock screams. Maybe a wild bunny was a late snack.

Quote:
Ya know... I didn't think about that...
My son is only 8, but he SWEARS he saw something that looked like a Silkie rooster...
It is VERY dark on that side of the yard though...
I heard the cry but by the time I got out there, there wasn't a sign of anything.

One of our Silkie roosters is named "Tarzan" because he crows like Tarzan yells...
almost sounded like him, but he was still in the run when I checked...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
My son is only 8, but he SWEARS he saw something that looked like a Silkie rooster...
I heard the cry but by the time I got out there, there wasn't a sign of anything.

One of our Silkie roosters is named "Tarzan" because he crows like Tarzan yells...
idunno.gif

Heard it last summer, an opoussum was trying to get in thier cage. It's almost like a baby in pain cry.

Quote:

idunno.gif

Heard it last summer, an opoussum was trying to get in thier cage. It's almost like a baby in pain cry.

I've heard a rabbit make strange cries like that too...
The only other thing I can think of is: maybe the sound bounced off the out building and sounded like Tarzan was closer than he was... doesn't explain what my son SAYS he saw... but maybe we heard the chicken and there was a rabbit in the yard?
smile.png
)
IDK what happened, but it's just so odd
tongue.png

Rabbits have the worst cry eer! My new rabbits are chatty never had a chatty one but these guys make noises when I feed and water them, almost like they were starved before. We had a female that would scream when she was mated it's gut renching. Raccons have a phantom type cry too.

Back
Top Bottom