A PIC of my new Bourbon Reds

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoveMyBirds, Apr 29, 2009.

1. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    They started a day early.. I was smelling something not real rotten but decided to go ahead and check the eggs out.. Of the 14 bought... only 1 good .. [​IMG] I guess they got scrabbled by PO.. They didn't do anything.. I had 2 other bad that looked like they might have tried to start, but have no ideal what happened to them..

Out of my 17 home grown BRs I had 14 good and 2 bad eggs and one somehow was upside down with beak in small end.. it was gone.. The 6 chicken eggs haven't started pipping yet... they should by tomorrow ..

Here's a PIC [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    They sure are purdy! [​IMG]

3. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I have a few one those that are 5 days old, such sweet little things [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Aww, they are adorable. [​IMG] Keeping fingers crossed for your chicks to hatch well too. [​IMG]

5. LoveMyBirds

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:17 turkey hatched,, [​IMG] and 2 of the 7 chicks [​IMG] so far... Tomorrow April 30 is the date of hatch so ..so far all looks good.. [​IMG]

I have another Incubator without fan and without turner that is full of eggs also.. No pipping in it yet.. [​IMG] Due Apr 30 also.. But I kept the temps right at 99.5 - 100 degrees so they may be a day late by what I have read here for still air..[​IMG]

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Oh I can't wait til my order gets here! I have some Bourbon Reds on the list. They are such regal looking birds! But totally adorable babies!!

7. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I read someplace that you shouldn't put chicken and turkey eggs in the hatcher together, something about the bacteria from one would kill the other....any truth to this?

8. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I put my turkey and chickens eggs together without a problem. But I tend to break the rules anyway. [​IMG] There is supposed to be some disease that they can give each other. But if you are going to raise them on the same property, then you risk it anyway. (Plus the turkey eggs that I got came from turkeys that lived with chickens, so I think that they are safe.)

My only problem is that out of 7 healthy hatched chicks, I have at LEAST 5 tom turkeys. I'm holding my breath that the last two don't turn into toms. How will I ever get any turkey eggs if all my turkeys put their tails in the air and gobble.?

9. LoveMyBirds

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Are these Toms from this year..??

The reason I ask is, last year my turkeys were struttin around and their little necks were puff red at times.. I thought crap.. 6 Toms and one hen..

But after they grew up.. I got one Tom and 6 hens..

So unless you can sex them or know for sure... You might be lucky..

10. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I absolutely love bourbon reds. I used to have a small flock until dogs got under the coop and into it. They would fallow me around all day and try to fly on my shoulder but that hurts lol. Cute little poults. Congrats.

BLACKHEAD is the disease your thinking of. Chickens CAN carry it but are not effected by it. It kills turkeys fast. I think blackhead is only realy a problem in certain states. People have raised turkeys with chickens here long as i remember without any issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by