A pictorial story...long w/pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, May 3, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    This story starts when I get the idea that it is time to scoop the coop, so to speak. I scoop their brooder at least once a day (they are in a 6' diameter hot tub frame)...well they are going on 7 weeks old now and I needed to scoop again this evening.

I approach the brooder with scoop in hand, roll back the wire top (put on strictly to keep them from flying everywhere) and I am greeted by this...

[​IMG]

This is the "Treat Patrol"...as you can see they are looking for a treat. My little spoiled SLW came right up close and personal looking for the treat...

[​IMG]

Then the realization that I have no treat but the dreaded and feared SCOOPER begins to set in and suspicious looks begin to fly:

[​IMG]

Spoiled SLW realizes what is going on and refuses to let me touch her. She has a strong "NO Treat...No Petting"policy.

[​IMG]

I cave! I go to the kitchen and fix a nice bowl of applesauce and starter and return to appease the girls...

[​IMG]

As I am trying to scoop...the escapees begin to fly the coop...literally Notice the three looking up like they are the good girls and behaving...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do not let those three fool you...they are just as bad as the other three.

The chicken corral begins....the fugitives are captured and their mug shots are taken for future reference...

Speckles...tries to throw me off by pretending she is a parrot

[​IMG]

Sandy giving her best "I am THE Chicken" imitation

[​IMG]

Molly giving me the 'I know I am a big girl but the other two MADE ME DO IT....HONESTLY' look

[​IMG]

Well MAMA ain't buying it little sista. They are all back in, brooder is scooped and they are full happy girls.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring with this crew? I wonder what they will think we they get 25 sisters in a couple of months....Oh I think they shall not like it at all. These 6 are spoiled and spoiled rotten. And I DID IT! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love my girlies.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I just want to let you know they are so beautiful and well taken care of! you are a good mommy hen! [​IMG]

I spoil my chickens so much...they just love there rolled corn....mmmmmmm

Love the pictures....

show us the new babies with them! [​IMG]

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Cute story! They sure come looking for the treats, don't they?

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Funny! LOL What breed is Sandy? I love her colors. Applesauce..... I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if mine would eat it, they are so picky [​IMG]

5. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    What sweeties!! You have some beautiful chicks there. Don't you just love how they all have their little different personalities!! [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Well, I ordered an Ameraucana but she is looking like an EE and well, my daughter could careless what she is...it is her baby and that is all that matters. We will see what happens when Sandy feathers out and becomes a big girl.

Oh they love applesauce mixed in with a handful of chick starter. They turned their beaks up to it until a week ago. They like plain baked yams mashed up, lettuce, broccoli (steamed is the only way they will eat it currently hehehehe), boiled egg, seedless grapes, cooked oatmeal and rice. They do not care which rice or how it is cooked. It hold no nutritional value for them really but they love it as a dinner treat. Oh and they LOVE moths that get into the brooder and worms they scratch up in the yard during playtime outside. [​IMG] Just keep trying. [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh my goodness...I am IN LOVE! They are just TOO cute. I can't wait to get mine. I will have a dozen to chase after! They are NOT going to fly away out of their brooder tho! lol [​IMG] Your chicks look so nice and healthy...the don't even have taht awkward chick teen stage look [​IMG]

I SO enjoyed your story...this was me -----> [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehe thanks. They have been very coddled because of my being new to them (after free range chickens as a kid). I watched over them like a hawk looking for dinner. I wiped bottoms, inspected every inch of them, jumped when they peeped and spoil them totally rotten.

They did have a small bit of scruffy look for about three days of week 5 .... but I upped the mix of special stuff in their food and they just perked right up in their appearance.

My food mix for them:

Chick starter 10 lbs.
    2 cups of whole flax seeds
    1/2 cup of rolled oats (chopped slightly in the coffee grinder)
    1 cup of oat bran
    2 cups of winter red wheat berries whole
    (all items are organic)

I just mix it all up and feed them as usual. The flax seed have great Omega 3's and that is great for the feathers. My parrots used to have great feathers and molted very easily and cleanly, so I give it to these girls. I started them on the mix at about 2 weeks old.

They get a plain baked yam, twice per week. a small treat each day such as 2 TBLS of applesauce mixed with 1 cup of their food, boiled eggs mashed up, cooked oatmeal, seedless grapes, steamed broccoli or fresh lettuce. I also pick fresh grass from the yard for them, shake the dirt out of the roots and let them pick at it.

My DH complains the chicks get better food service than he does some days. [​IMG][​IMG] And he is right!

You will love yours too pieces too. Just handle them often and talk to them everytime you go near the brooder, feed them from the palm of your hand often, they will give it all back. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW do you mind if I used your recipe!!?? LOL Sound yummy to me! I never thought of the flax seed at all. Great idea! You are a great chicken mommy!! How long are you keeping them indoors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by