A Picture a Day

Sadness Child

Crowing
Jun 16, 2019
ABQ, New Mexico
So this is a thread where I will try my hardest to post at least one picture a day, I can raise this bar a little higher if you want. Now my flock's backstory. It all began 5 years ago with 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Ameraucana chicks. we grew them out, then one day, the pure white ameraucana jumped up on the railing and basically screams at me. That is when I knew he was a rooster. Then a couple days later the other ameraucana starts beating down on the white one, I had to separate them and eventually the other ameraucana started crowing as well. We gave the white rooster to a friend, and he died protecting his flock from a dog, the dog only got the rooster and 1 other hen. The ameraucana that we kept (Buffy) was a beautiful black and white ameraucana, we now had 2 speckled sussex hens, (Velma and Dixie). Buffy was a great rooster, by the time the hens started laying we had gotten two Crested Cream Legbars, (Pencil and Ashley). Everything was great.

I will finish the story tomorrow. For now I leave you with one picture.

This is the picture for yesterday, Velma is on the right, Dixie is on the left, and Buffy is in the middle.
DSC02054.JPG

Ok I will start where I left of last time. So everything was great with all of the chickens, Buffy was a kind and protective rooster, Velma and Dixie were laying regularly, and Pencil and Ashley were growing rapidly. At the time I was taking the first picture was when we were integrating Pencil and Ashley. They were accepted into the flock with a little help from Buffy. Fast forward 6 months. Pencil and Ashley have gotten to a year old roughly, and the originals are 1.5 years old. This is when Buffy changes completely, he starts bullying and basically destroying Ashley's head as he mates with her (he would mate with her and when he was done with that he would just start pecking the back of her head and she had a real bad scab on the back of her comb for a week). Then Buffy started attacking us that was when we had to cull our beloved rooster. about 2 months after this a coyote got Ashley, in the middle of the day when I was at school. After this I was reluctant to let them free range again, I let them out once a week either way. After the loss of Ashley, my mom got three New Hampshire Red pullets. This is where I leave you guys of for today. I will post two pictures today in memory of Ashley.
DSC02538.JPG

Ashley is in the back, Pencil is in the front
DSC02008.JPG

Pencil is in the back, Ashley is in the front

Sorry for being a little late on this my little brother was bugging me.

Ok I will start where I left of last time. So everything was great with all of the chickens, Buffy was a kind and protective rooster, Velma and Dixie were laying regularly, and Pencil and Ashley were growing rapidly. At the time I was taking the first picture was when we were integrating Pencil and Ashley. They were accepted into the flock with a little help from Buffy. Fast forward 6 months. Pencil and Ashley have gotten to a year old roughly, and the originals are 1.5 years old. This is when Buffy changes completely, he starts bullying and basically destroying Ashley's head as he mates with her (he would mate with her and when he was done with that he would just start pecking the back of her head and she had a real bad scab on the back of her comb for a week). Then Buffy started attacking us that was when we had to cull our beloved rooster. about 2 months after this a coyote got Ashley, in the middle of the day when I was at school. After this I was reluctant to let them free range again, I let them out once a week either way. After the loss of Ashley, my mom got three New Hampshire Red pullets. This is where I leave you guys of for today. I will post two pictures today in memory of Ashley.View attachment 2242443
Ashley is in the back, Pencil is in the frontView attachment 2242445
Pencil is in the back, Ashley is in the front

Sorry for being a little late on this my little brother was bugging me.
Today? :clap

Back
Top Bottom