A pip doesn't mean ready to hatch!!! don't help!

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
A pip doesn't mean ready to hatch, do not help. a pip is only to catch a breath of air, then they need to absorb the rest of the yolk, which has not happened at first pip. They say "if they pip they will zip" just give it time. I know you want your baby chick it will happen.

It's always best to be patient and wait once chicks pip.Rare do they ever need any help. I always allow time for chicks or ducklings to hatch once pipped, but if there's no progress in a 3 or 4 hours or so, I slowly peel enough to see if there's veins or any sign of blood, if not I peel them out and place them back in the hatcher. At the first sight of any blood or bloody looking veins, I stop and place them back for several hours, and see if they hatch on their own. It is rare that I have to offer assistance, but I been hatching weekly and bi-weekly for the past 8 years steady, so I can usually tell when somethings not right.

I have saved many many hundreds of chicks by peeling them out when they're stuck, over the years. 88 ducklings in one morning. My water valve was stuck and there was a humidity problem. As long as there's progress I don't touch them. When they are shrink wrapped, I peel them out under a small trickle of warm running water about 80-100 degrees, but careful not to get a drop on the beak. It only takes a drop the drown a chick. I sometimes blow in the face if I think they got wet, but rarely ever had that happen.

I had chicks that were dying in the shell that wouldn't pip. I took the tip of a small knife and pipped the air cell, and they were about 30 or so and all were ready. They showed no signs of blood or veins, so I peeled them out and saved about 80-90% of them. There was many dead in the shells that were fully developed. They just was partly shrink wrapped.

In the past 5 or 6 years or so, I been doing a dry hatch method on my Marans, and find that works best. Flying Mallards also do good with a dry hatch. Some breeds are different. In most cases chicks don't need any help. I only offer help when I know they are in trouble. The way I tell, is if there's no sign of blood or veins, I know they are ready and just peel them out. When there's more then 1 or 2 stuck, it's usually a humidity problem that needs adjusting.

Last edited:
I give a pip 24hrs before even a vein test, my last batch 16/17 I did not touch at all, not even candle after day 18.

Back
Top Bottom