A place for stupid questions....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by handsomecock, Oct 17, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    I have a parrot, often I take him to get groomed because his nails become unbearable and I didnt train him to allow me to cut them from a young age. Do we, or should we have to trim our chickens nails? Would it affect their lifestyle in any way?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You only need to trim chickens if they are on wire. If on the ground they'll scratch and wear them down.

Not stupid. I actually didn't know caged birds had that problem till many years into raising them.

3. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    Why are my white 5 mth old chickens laying brown eggs?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some chicken breeds lay white eggs, some lay brown eggs, some lay green or blue eggs... What breed are your hens?

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Can I ask you a stupid question? How do you train a parrot to allow you to trim his nails? Why don't you just grab him and hold his foot and cut his nails? Isn't that what the groomer does?

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The rule of thumb is that red ear lobe chickens lay brown eggs. White ear lobe chickens lay white eggs.
    The exception to the rule is that Penedesencas and Empordanesas have white lobes and lay some of the chicken world's darkest eggs. Very unique breed.

Feather color means nothing.
    Egg color is breed specific.
    Feather color is specific to the variety.

7. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    Forcing a nail trim on a parrot is really traumatic, for everyone! My parrot screams like we're murdering him and will spend the rest of the day in a sad little angry funk. Training (which you do by rewarding the parrot with treats when he lets you touch and fiddle with his feet) keeps everyone sane.

8. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA

Yup thats what the groomer does. But in the end his hands are more bloody than a mary :p My blue front amazon is a vicious maniac. I've almost lost part of my nose and my lower lip to it, not worth the risk, or the potential to rile the bird up some more :/ supposedly parrots allow you to do anything as long as you train them from a young age. They have te mentality of a three year old is what they say...

9. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    K thx

10. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ha, idk bout my parrot. He is 13 and been through some serious mental trauma. One time he bit me so hard i shook him off and he hit the ground and got knocked out for like 3 minutes I thought he was dead. Then he started movin and took days later to get back to normal. I'll give it a shot though, maybe i can invest in some chainmail gauntlets lmao

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by