a plastic shed as a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by belly, Aug 17, 2011.

1. belly

belly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Murray Utah
    I have a friend that is giving me a plastic tuff shed and I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it is good idea to make it into a coop and what the pros and cons are?

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Make sure its ventilated well, and that you can keep pests and predators from digging under it, and I don't see a problem? Your roosts might have to be free standing, as the walls might not hold screws in with any weight against it, but sure, why not? Gotta love the freebies!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Works out good for me. Check out my page.

People have espressed concerns about ventilation, and heat. It would depend on how and where you located it.

I like that that it is perfectly dry inside. (important in Seattle) easy to clean, and doesn't easily harbor pests/parasites. I did not add ventilation and located mine in a shady spot.

Imp

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The walls will hold screws. I just finished my playhouse coop yesterday. I also built a duckling house out of a roughneck tote. It has windows so I don't worry about ventilation but in a plastic shed you could just cut holes and cover them with attic vent covers or hardware cloth. The jig saw is your friend.

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Good to know!!! I pictured my 10 big fat chickens on one roost, and saw those screws flying right out! [​IMG]

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Good to know!!! I pictured my 10 big fat chickens on one roost, and saw those screws flying right out! [​IMG]

and if you need to hang something heavier..... like say a 25 lb feeder you can mount a couple of squares of plywood on either side with multiple screws then you can fit a two by four across and that could support as much as two hundred pounds.

How do I know? Thats how I hang my heavy horse harness. Each harness weighs 100 with the collar and hames. And I have two.

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Make sure that air can circulate all around it - especially underneath, so you don't get any mold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by